Lists, do you make them?

Meta af. Love it. And you’re completely spot on

1 Like

In all seriousness, I try to make a habit of writing down a “to-do” list of tasks and goals every night. Most things I write down are for the next day but I also find that repeatedly writing down long term goals can really help me stay focused. I sometimes think of it as having extra RAM.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea doing it at night for what you plan to accomplish the following day. I bet there’s some science to back this up too. As in your brain subconsciously considers things while you’re sleeping and it’s easier to do the next day

This is how I work through saxophone practice. I use a bullet journal, and make tomorrow’s agenda at the end of today’s practice.

1 Like

People who make lists -

mr_bernard
Craig
Eak
blurrghost
JamesM
Tchu
Og Tea Boi
Cepheid
Microtribe

3 Likes

You’re missing one :wink:

3 Likes

I was thinking today about starting to write down project outlines. I have this paralysis of choice and I just end up jamming. Nothing gets done. I’m trying to work on 60 to 90 minute live set and all I have is the kit that I want to use (which is a big start). I want to outline all of the steps I need to take to get a sketchpad of patterns together that I can flow through in a jam style for 60 to 90 minutes. I hate having A.D.D… Such a hard time seeing things through.

I have so many unfinished projects of pretty decent ideas and nothing to show for it. So, I’m thinking a couple of things:

• A list of requirements for my live set.
  • A sketch for a complete song that I can sit down and work through to completion.

So, for you list makers, what are some good list/task/workflow tools? I don’t do the pen and paper thing and I do have an iPad that rarely leaves my side. So, even a small project management tool like Asana or something.

Trying to form good habits and would love some ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good reminder.

Kick
Tone
Bass
Perc
Lead
Hats
FX

a list to plan the performance hits in a track:

I’ve also made plenty of python lists in the scripts I used to make my most recent music videos (because why would I use a reasonable video composition program)

3 Likes

A long time ago I created a simple printable grid for my DT projects, mute states, set planning etc. I don’t know what I’d do without these at this point…!

8 Likes

I used to have lists upon lists going. I would always have one or two on my pocket. Crossing things off as I went through my day, accumulating them throughout the week. This went on for years.

In the end, the problem was that:

1. They became hard to manage.
  2. I always forgot to
1 Like

I make lists. Also use an app called Wunderlist that now is Microsoft to do. What is cool about that is it is just a checklist that you can share with others and anyone can add and check stuff off. You can make as many categories as you want and share just the ones you want to. So great for shared projects. In recent memory I’ve mostly used it to help keep track of video game projects. Like I need all these parts then to wire this, then assemble something, test something. I just put each individual thing that needs to happen to get to the end goal and check it off as I do it.

1 Like

i do similiar, but with a notebook with grids

3 Likes

yes, i do a lot of lists, notes, etc.
both on paper and in computer.

The one I like on iPad is Notion. It can do a fair bit, but the thing I like most about it is you can have what looks like a small list, but you can make them toggles and have essays of notes etc under each one. I have synched to my Android phone, is handy and free.

2 Likes

Lists and notes, absolutely yes!

A got a pinboard on the wall for ‘long term goals’ etc. a notebook on my desk, lots of text files and notes in my pc, and this Ikea easel which has a chalkboard and a whiteboard and a roll of paper you can pull over the easel to draw on. :slight_smile:

Each project folder on my computer is filled with notes (used gear, midi channels and presets and a list of patterns with notes how to play/what to tweak) and pics (for synth patches).

1 Like

as a little counterpart:

No, I do not make lists, i just go with the flow…

but for me music is only a hobby, so no need to be organized / productive, because i dont rely on any income out of it…

i make lists very seldom, sometimes for e.g. grocery shopping… when i forget to buy that damn toothpaste three times in a row :wink: but thats pretty much it…

at work we use a software with tasks and deadlines and so on… i would not want to use this in my private life. so i try to keep this life not too busy and full of „preassure“

2 Likes

Lists are for cowards, I never make lists. Here’s why.

1. Pen and paper, eurgh!
  2. Reading is for old people.
  3. You can’t keep my thoughts in a cage.
  4. If I forget things, it’s because they’re shit and probably deserve to be forgotten.
  5. Fuck you, list!
4 Likes

The only thing I dislike more than a list is probably 2 lists.

I avoid it.

My memory isn’t so great, so if I discover a cool trick, a cool mix, or something interesting I do sometime make notes. I have a lot of old minidiscs full of tracks I made from samples and sounds that I can’t remember the source of, and even mixtapes that I can’t remember some of the tracks I used on them.

1 Like