Lists, do you make them?

So, I was planning with my band mate (also my gf, hence why I’m called Creggy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) what we need to do to finish an album by September. Do you guys do similar things for live shows, mixes, EPs, albums or even individual tracks? It would be interesting to see how other people organise their thoughts and what other methods there are for getting shit done. (For what it’s worth, I work better with deadlines)

9 Likes

We use a Trello board.

2 Likes

The most important bit of kit in my studio, is pen and paper. I make notes, lists. Very useful indeed.

5 Likes

Damn. Reminds me of an old job I had doing content management! As @Microtribe said, there’s something special, physical and in a way more imprinted about using a pen and paper. But what sort of things do you put on your Trello boards? And does it help you stay focused?

Edit: Pics FTW :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use google keep to take notes for track lists for releases and all the fine details that need to be taken care of for each individual track. The lists go through many revisions and updates throughout the process. Hell yeah for lists!

3 Likes

2 Likes

You always should, helps you organise everything better in your mind, just in general in life. There’s so much go on it’s easy to forget things.

1 Like

That’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing your processes! Also ‘Gods are lower’ made me lol

1 Like

Ha! You bet! The other half of this team writes a ton for the project! It’s easy for me to lose track, and since he’s the songwriter, he’s much more connected to what’s what. We’ve been at it 11 years, and when there’s a lot of material, this process really works for us. Especially right now as we cannot be in the same place. We’re hammering through a new batch of material, and Trello makes it easy to jot down ideas and checklists per song, call attention to new parts added, trade notes back and forth, etc…

3 Likes

A Dollar Store Writing Book and a GOOD pen or pencil. Notes, diagrams, reminders, drawings, … but no lists.

6 Likes

Pics or didn’t happen :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Everyone gets a notebook.

In addition to listing, I like flow charts too :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Oh man. I sure do. At work so cant post pics right now, sorry Craig.
I even make lists of lists I need to make!
My band has a giant dry erase board. I have boxes full of notebooks full of lists. The act of writing something down on paper helps with lots of aspects of my creative “process”, even if I never refer back to it, though I usually do.

1 Like

Absolute madman! :joy:

1 Like

Haha! It might be some kind of sickness but I’m comfortable with who I am. Haha!

2 Likes

Love it! My gf has recently discovered she has ADHD or ADD and she really benefits from making lists and ticking off things she’s done each day. It really does help manage things

Edit: Not in anyway implying you have these things by the way, just that it’s really helping her. Only just thought about how my comment might’ve come across! Apologies!

1 Like

No apologies necessary. Most of my closest friends have had add/adhd. I’m very familiar with it. I wouldn’t be offended even if you were suggesting I had that condition. I do have a mild condition (which I’d rather not get into at the moment) that lists are a part of but like I said, comfortable with who I am. Haha. No worries.

1 Like

Yes, fair enough. I’ve revealed far too much on this forum in the past. The people on here are hella supportive tho. Anyway, completely off topic (from my own post haha). Thanks for sharing your process :blush:

Thanks. Folks here do seem supportive but I’m new to the forum and still feeling it out.

1 Like

Reasons to list:

1. Keeps one organized
  2. Forms habits
  3. Empties out brain
  4. Offers perspective
  5. Increases productivity
8 Likes