Linux compatible audio interfaces?

A tip is to take a look at the akai forum, specifically the thread about compatible audio interfaces for MPC 2.10… since the MPC is Linux based as well…

Although the MPC has a particular kind of pain of only supporting 44.1 and not being great at managing USB audio config.

1 Like

Fair point!

worst code i’ve ever written. completely unmaintainable and illegible. it’s a got a few things hard-coded for the monologue. i started when i realised how simple the python mido library was, and the features kept rolling. (i’m not a python guy) if you get it running it lists all the keybindings. oh, and i didn’t put much effort into the looks, that’s a can of worms.

oh actually it does fire up:

and the reason this is relevant is it reveals my audio interface.

4 Likes

Oh no, don’t tell me the python midi library is easy. Then I’m gonna end up starting to actually write something, and I have other projects that won’t survive that much concentrated procrastination.

3 Likes

If you have a distribution or are using Pipewire, it will not work due to the fact that rtmidi used by mido to use the midi port is not packaged to work without jack. On Fedora 34, you can not install the python rtmidi binding, it crashes. I still have to try to use the packaged version in the Fedora repo bit so not like to rely on my distribution package manager to handle my libs. Besides that mido to manage read and write midi is easy to use but it is not what makes a great sequencer :blush: It’s a shame because Pipewire just works ™ for other cases.

2 Likes

Ah, good, this sounds like the kind of hassle that I can use to successfully deflect turning the object model I have sitting in a doc somewhere into code

1 Like

I recently got a Tascam US-4x4hr to work with Ubuntu Studio (kubuntu). Haven’t worked extensively with it yet, but the basics seem to work so far.

1 Like

Motu M4 works great on every modern distro i used. deb, arch, dnf…
now im on fedora. works great to.
pipewire is great
also i have steinberg ur22 mk2 - it works to.

1 Like