Linux Based "Mixer"

Now that we are getting more and more instruments with class compliant usb audio, I’ve been thinking about what it would be like to not have a mixer at all in the traditional sense.

What I am imagining is a small linux box (maybe a Pi has enough power, but definitely an intel nuc does) that you plug your USB devices in, maybe have a web-based interface for controlling levels and filters via something like an iPad or a HUI controller. Add some custom midi controls for switching between “scenes”.

How realistic is this? Are there OSS building blocks that can be used to make something like this a reality? I’m thinking we could get as much power as higher end digital mixers without exceeding a few hundred dollars.

(PS Elektron, could be a good time to build 32i32o digimix with 8 audio in, 8 audio out and 8 usb plugs!)

2 Likes

Many are curious, few have ideas/comments :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea. Would it be similar to using something like AUM on iOS?

Perhaps. It would support multiple audio interfaces though which iOS doesnt do (otherwise an iPad would work perfectly).

You could imagine it perhaps as just a hardware audio interface joiner?

you could demo something like this right away using ChucK running on a Pi. It would give you an idea of system load - or even something like NodeJS controlling the system mixer (/usr/bin/amixer) - that was the last project I did on the platform a few years ago

I think JACK should be able to do it, or just use Ardour, without building anything yourself.

1 Like

Kind of related: My current “master plan” for my portable setup is to connect my Elektron devices (AR, DN) together with the Behringer X Air 18 digital mixer to the MOD Devices Duo X. This is basically an embedded Linux which hosts lv2 plugins and plugs them together with jack. The patching is done in a web browser. The software behind this is open source and is also easily usable on a Raspberry Pi using Patchbox OS.

An example of the expected setup would be something like:
AR percussion -> Mod X delay/reverb effect -> X Air channel
AR kick -> Mod X rumble bass chain -> X Air channel
DN track A -> Mod X master reverb -> X Air channel
DN track B -> Mod X fancy effect chain -> X Air channel
X Air Send effect 1 -> Mod X master reverb -> X Air Send effect 1 return
X Air Send effect 2 -> Mod X master delay -> X Air Send effect 2 return

According to their website they used to search people who are familiar with embedded Linux. My guess is that they’re building some kind of new workstation or this middle mixing/control console many of us missing. Something like the Roland MX1 but actually useful and fully integrated with all Overbridge enabled devices. We’ll see next year I guess.

1 Like

I can’t speak as a hardware or a software engineer, but I am only as a heavy user of digital mixers.

This should definitely have it’s uses, although without the dedicated hardware it’s still a computer+software platform. It’s usability is determined mostly by what the software can do, and once you add together the cost of the Nuc+I-Pad+midi controller (+router?) it’s not that cheap.

High end digital mixers are not really a thing in studios, they are mostly designed for live sound/broadcast and some people find them useful for their studios. They are expensive mostly because they need a very robust chassis, lots of high-quality AD/DA and pre-amps, motorized faders, touch screens and the software has to work for real from day one. They also require a much higher level of customer support (24 hour phone support, not support tickets by email). The cost of DSP power within this context is trivial.

This would be useful, also for streaming multichannel between 2 computers and iOS devices. A class-compliant audio matrix with analog connectivity? I would probably buy it.