Line 6 HX Stomp works well as Looper control and FX

Hi, I also sold my Helix so I’m afraid I cant remember exactly how it works… but I was using a Boss FS-6 external 2 button switch to control Octatrack pickup machines. Yes you can only send one CC per button, but I think you can have it toggle between 2 values. So I was using 1 button to send CC59 toggling between Max value 60 and Min value 64. This switches between record and play. The other button sent note A4 to go to the next track. that leaves 3 buttons on the helix for presets/snapshots. I am now using a Hotone Ampero control midi controller - 4 buttons that can send multiple CCs or notes. Easy setup from a phone app. Compact and pretty affordable

2 Likes

And how do you proceed ?
1 Pickup only ?
Record one loop and overdub after ?
What length ?
My main grief with Pickups, among others, is that you can’t record freely 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 etc bars…otherwise tempo is wrong.

Any demo ?

HX Command Center : Check “CC Toggle” for interested people…

1 Like

This is what I was doing, pics below of the config menus…

I had a project setup with 4 patterns, 1 for each Part

Pattern 1/Part 1
8 pickup machines

Step 1: Press footswitch 1 to record the first loop on T1 pickup machine. (It goes into overdub if you dont hit the footswitch a second time.)

Step 2: Press footswitch 2 to go to T2

Step 3: Press footswitch 1 to record the 2nd loop on T2 pickup machine.

Step 4: Switch to Pattern 2/Part 2
Flex machines on T1 and T2, each set to play their own recording buffer.
T3-T8 pickup machines
Trig set on step 1 of T1 and T2, so the loops keep playing seamlessly
Mess with Pitch, Speed and effects on T1 and T2

Step 5: Add more Pickup loops on T3 and T4

Step 6: Switch to Pattern 3/Part 3
Flex machines on T1, T2, T3, T4. each set to play their own recording buffer.
T5-T8 pickup machines
Trig set on step 1 of T1 - T4, so the loops keep playing seamlessly
Mess with Pitch, Speed and effects on T1 - T4

Step 7: Add more pickup loops on T5-T8

Step 8: Switch to Pattern 4/Part 4
Flex machines on all tracks

Repeat till it becomes a noisy mess, or no tracks left!

NOTES, PROBLEMS:
Changing Pitch and Speed causes problems on pickup machines, this is the main reason for this workflow - switching to a FLex machine allows for reverse, half speed, quarter speed, pitch Up/Dwn effects.

The key for me with getting control of tempo was simply to start the sequencer running before recording the first loop. Then the tempo stays fixed. Length of loop playback is fixed to whatever the sequence is.

Usually I had QREC off so that recording would start/stop instantly. But it does work with QREC on as well to keep recordings to even lengths.

I tried pre-slicing the buffer so I could re-sequence using the flex machines, but I couldnt get it work consistently.

It does work, but weird things occasionally go wrong, which sent me down a rabbit hole of menu diving and away from actually making music. It all ended up a bit ‘mechanical’ and not as ‘free and evolving’ as I was hoping. Maybe with more practice I could have made it work, but I have found the Chase Bliss Blooper to be much more productive for me.

Config:

1 Like

Thanks for detailed answer @wavethirtytwo. Ambitious setup ! :+1:
And yes to part changes for Flex flexibility.

So your loops have also a defined recording length ?(RLEN=64).

Defined RLEN is unfortunately the only way to be sure to keep the tempo. QREC works, but if you record 6 bars tempo become wrong.

no problem. and yes you are correct, even with RLEN set to 64 for all tracks, if you record for less than 64 steps, then the tempo changes automatically to some higher number.

I tried with QREC set to 16steps and the tempo stays fixed, but weird things happen with going to ‘erase’ x> instead of ‘play’

There are lots of other small problems (for me!) that increase the ‘friction’ against making spontaneous music this way - e.g.

if you hit STOP by mistake, its a pain to get all the pickup machines running in sync again. if you somehow had a nice polyrhythm running its probably lost forever (so always be recording)

And I would really like to be able to change speed & pitch of a loop, then overdub again on top if it, sometimes maybe 10 or more ‘layers’ of small sounds added. it’s possible, but difficult to set up and keep a mental track of what is happening

PITA

Even toggling 60 and 64 ?

Ok today I’ll try want I planned since a long time : make a Flex looper setup.

Principle: Start recording with note 60, then send it again to stop the recording followed by a C2 note to play FLEX.
This way you can record and play FLEX directly, quantized or not, with free length.

I personally want it quantized to Pattern; a 1ST Trig Condition to play tracks again, running their own length. After Stop/Play or a pattern change loops are played.

No overdub but resampling to free tracks. Can be automated with pattern changes.

yes. doesnt happen everytime, but seems to be if you record for less than 16steps the first time on an empty buffer

excited to see what you come with for a FLex looper setup.

1 Like

I’m not sure this helps achieving your needs but i’m pretty sure you can use the Instant1-6 slots in the Command Center to send multiple CCs. These are sent when switching to the selected snapshot. Then you can configure a specific snapshot to a footswitch.

A little more off-topic i think the HX stomp is a useful sidekick to the OT, both as a master FX thing (Retro Reel is nice) and to resample oneshots with fx, panning etc.

1 Like

I love the HX Stomp. I made a patch to mimic the live setup of the band Giant Swan. Machinedrum into the main L/R, microphone and bass synth going into the Return L and T respectively, all going into a bass amp. Can set up an external MIDI controller to control levels/FX etc. It’s such a cool device for leftfield use-cases like this.

2 Likes

Here is a poor quality example but it works. Free length loops, quantized to pattern length (1 bar).

T1-4 : FLEX playing respective recordings.
T5-6 : Drums

MFC10 midi foot controller :
SW1 : Note 61 channel 1 to start T1 rec
SW6 : Note 61+36 channel 1 to stop T1 rec and play RECORDING1

SW2 : Note 61 channel 2 to start T2 rec
SW7 : Note 61+37 channel 2 to stop T2 rec and play RECORDING2

SW3 : Note 61 channel 3 to start T3 rec
SW8 : Note 61+38 channel 3 to stop T3 rec and play RECORDING3

SW4 : Note 61 channel 4 to start T4 rec
SW9 : Note 61+39 channel 4 to stop T4 rec and play RECORDING4

2 Likes

Bravo! Great, I’m going to see what I can do with this setup. Thanks