Lifeforms SV-1 + 48 hp - what to add?

A couple of weeks back I swapped a Sequential 6-Trak for Lifeforms SV-1 in a Pittsburgh 96hp case. I couldn’t be happier. It sounds excellent. So I’m now contemplating what to add. I’m pretty familiar with many concepts of modular synthesis as I’ve have a Nord G2 for almost 10 years now. I don’t plan to go on to put together a large multi-timbral rig for self-generating experimentation. I’m pretty much set on the Instruo osc and the Erica filter (should be a good contrast to the SV-1 filter).

Anybody have the modules I plan to get? Maybe a quad VCA would be more useful than the Optomix? If you have the SV-1, what have you added to it?

1 Like

When I had one Infou s the most useful items for me:
-quad vca
-extra envelope
-function generator (or other envelope with cv controllable decay an log-lin function)

BTW: any envelope with cv-controllable decay enables you to controll its slope-shape by feeding its output (attenuated, and inverted for more log) to its cv input.

1 Like

That’s very useful info. Thanks

2 Likes

I would consider getting some random modulation. Woogle bug or something simpler (pico rnd). Random dosed correctly can be fantastic on filter modulation.

I would swap optomix for a set of dual vcas and a small function generator or envelope.

1 Like

Seems there aren’t so many with a small footprint. The Tip Top 4000NS looks pretty neat. I also see Contour; looking at others.

Here’s my SV-1 96hp build.

2 Likes

Doepfer has a new 8hp version of their excellent Quad VCA (A-135-2) for $120.

I’d add a digital oscillator, so Plaits or Tall Dog Braids.
Plus their Ornament & Crime (UO_C) for sequencers, modulation, random, etc.

Plus the new Doepfer A-142-2 or A-140-2 Envelopes.
Plus Doepfer A-147-2 VC LFO & A-171-2 VC Slew.
Multi-utility module like Pittsburgh Mod Tools, SSF Tool-Box, or Kinks.
Or scrap the last 3 lines & fit in a Make Noise Maths & Disting. :slight_smile:
Or bigger case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like a fun setup!

Lots of food for thought here. My idea is to keep sound sources analogue, in this case at least. I’ve played around with Braids; flexible as hell, but can’t say I’m that keen on its character. For digital flexibility and mayhem I still have a Nord G2: O&C is of course highly flexible but I’m put off with the idea of menu scrolling on modular. And from a quick glance at the manual - only one function/app at a time?

:smile: -) I thought that if I asked here instead of Muffwiggler, at least it wouldn’t be the first suggestion! But the Doepfer VCA is a great tip. Thanks

Here’s a revision based on feedback: I reckon the Contour should work great with Clep Diez; us the logic outs of contour to trigger seqs/lfo in the Diez, + the Contour attack and decay have CV control.

From demos Antimatter sounds smoother / rounder than FM Aid (at extra cost). But if I get this, I’d definitely want to feed it external audio, so maybe the SSF filter and Ferry send return/preamp instead of the Erica filter:

I won’t have the finances to get these all at once, so will probably get Contour, Clep Diez and the Invity dual attenuverter first. Looks like a lot of function generation power in 16 hp

2 Likes

That looks well-thought-out!
Crossfold looks interesting.
Don’t forget that SSF has a 4HP filter (w/ ping input), as does Noise Engineering.
SSF also makes a 4HP attenuverter+offset generator like the Invy, except it has 2x inputs p/ channel. Those are built at the WMD factory, so better build-quality too.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s reassuring to hear from someone with experience with real modular. And another good tip re SSF

If I’d had the cash, I would have gone for a bigger case and individual modules instead of the SV-1. But I really do like the sound of the SV-1 so it’s a happy accident.

I can’t see myself selling the G2

I’d add:

Disting MK4 - it’s a multi module which does everything from sample playback, FM, filters, reverb, to scale quantizing. Bit of a pain to remember all the functions though.

Pam’s New Workout - 8 synced LFOs and/or gate triggers with euclidean patterns, chance % etc

Clouds (clone) - Because everyone needs Clouds. It’s a reverb, a granular synth, stutter/breaktweaker type synth (with firmware change - be sure you look at one which can accept new firmwares)

Don’t forget a little Korg SQ1 sequencer can go a long way as you can control sequence everything from filter movement to FM amount with it as well as basic pitch and gate. It also works as a MIDI to CV/Gate

I can do some quick audio demos of what each device does if you like?

Cheers for the suggestions! Eventually, I would like to put together an effects rack including Clouds, spring reverb, analog BBD, analogue Phaser and Flame Instruments Curves. But that’s not something I’ll be able to afford for a while! I have some nice effects units, thus the Ferry module with send / return to bring them into play.

When I look at Disting, I see a number of functions not provided for with the modules selected above, above all - quantizer. OTOH, I don’t reckon Disting is on a par with Contour as an EG, nor on a par as a slew compared to a dedicated module, probably doesn’t hold a candle compared to the Antimatter Crossfold as a Wavefolder/shaper. With only one function at a time, I think I’d soon find it a compromise.

I haven’t tried syncing the SV-1 with a pulse from audio track, but the midi clock on SV-1 seems to slave pretty tight to OT clock and there’s a freely assignable CC channel. So far so good using OT plocks and lfo for CV modulation.

mate, you posted what, a 3u 60hp? rack and asked how best to fill it. The Disting is what 4hp , of course a large dedicated module will do a hell of a lot more, but that wasn’t the original question was it?

I’ll leave you to it.

Didn’t want to come across as trashing your suggestion of Disting. I see its flexibility. So what would you take out of the last rack I posted above, and replace with Disting?