LFO Trouble in HALF mode

Hi there,
i have some trouble with my LFO running wild even though mode is set to HALF. So I would expect the LFO to nothing but when its triggerd right?

But somehow the LFO seems to be at some random point in his cycle, when I play the pattern coming from another pattern.
Like it would be running in the backround all the time. For reasons I cannot (or don’t want to) trigger the LFO with the first Trig (which contains a note trig) but the LFO coming in at a random point is kind of a problem in this case (its destination is the sample slot).

It even comes in minus values so to say in the second part of the cycle that shouldn’t be part of the LFO at all since its supposed to only go through half the cycle to begin with…

Appreciate any help!

what’s the waveform? random? sine? saw?

2 Likes

Sine

I wish any trouble could be in Half mode. :content:

Is One mode working properly for your goal ?

1 Like

Did you change Trig page LFO.T ? Should be on when you want to trigger.

By default it is off on yellow trigs (lock trigs).

1 Like

no unfortunaltly not. One shot mode should do a similar thing right? but the outcome is the same. the pattern starts with a random LFO position it seems. At least it doesn’t trigger the “default” sample reliably but sometimes the next one up or two down. (the LFO aims to change the sample evetually but not for the first Trig)
It doesn’t seem to happen when I start the pattern with nothing playing before hand. The problem seems to occur only if I switch over from another pattern…

1 Like

Yes I changed it and turned it off for the note trig on the first step, because I don’t want the LFO to trigger in the first place. Only later I have yellow trigs to trigger the LFO. they work fine and do as they are supposed to…

1 Like

:thinking:
Did you dig on that ?

I tried with 2 different patterns, 1st having Half on Pitch, one trig followed by lock trigs
2nd having free lfo.
Worked as intended.

How to reproduce your issue ?

1 Like

ok having two patterns A and B, A would be the Pattern in question with the problem (your first pattern)
Pattern A has a Note Trig WITHOUT triggering the LFO on the First Step and on the last Step for simplicitys sake Step 16 there is a LFO triggering Lock Trig. LFO is set to HALF sine Wave with speed someting like 32x16 so it reaches its max amplitude (+2) on the First Step (in the next round) changing the sample slot so the second time around the First Trig plays a different Sample (for example sample 52) then the first time.(sample 50)

Now playing that pattern it should work fine. But now we switch to a different Pattern B without LFOs assigned. After a couple of loops we switch back to our Pattern A and I suspect it is a question of Luck weather it will trigger sample 50 the way I want it or sample 52 or any other sample between 48 and 52.

I hope you can follow that explanation?

You’re right it depends on what I play before Pattern A
Till now I’m not quite smart about what causes this though. Some patterns create problems some do not. I’m trying to figure it out now. But so far a pattern that creates problems has no LFO settings whatsoever on the specific Track which is 5 in my case… And I’m running a free LFO on another one that doesn’t create problems at all :hushed:

Ok thank you for your hint! I think I kind of figured it out now.
But its not entirely clear to me so if you do have other or more precise experiences please correct me.
It seems to me an LFO once started won’t stop unless for a HALF or ONE trigger even if depth is set to zero. It is running in the backround no matter what and its position is not getting changed unless retriggerd. BUT parameters like depth are changed on Pattern change even without triggering.
It seems furthermore to me that it is not possible to P.Lock any of the LFO Parameters on a Trigless Lock?

So in my case it seems easiest to set all the unused LFOs in other patterns to HALF Trigger Mode.
One could also try to avoid to unnecessarily trigger the LFO But since Note Trigs Trigger them by default its easy to miss one and once it is started it won’t stop unless one Triggers LFO HLF or ONE mode.
Or is there a proper way to stop an LFO?

And now I wonder when does a LFO get reset at all? It seems to me stopping doesn’t reliably reset the LFO? Changing the Pattern obviously doesn’t… Is it just being reset whan restarting the Digitakt?

1 Like

It may have to be triggered with LFO.T, trig page. Off/On.
I can’t test before tonight.