Lfo to shift timing of notes. Is it possible?

I’m trying to figure out a way to add some subtle timing variation to hihats. I would like to have an LFO shift the timing slightly. Any ideas on how to do this? It would be great if there was an LFO destination to shift notes on the grid.

you could randomise slice selection with a sample chain of hats with variable start gaps for each slice, make most slices have no gaps to keep it tight, use a custom lfo to strengthen the likelihood it will pick normal gaps and randomise the looseness

2 Likes

that’s better for sure, but you’ve no easy scope for variation of sound, but it’s far more elegant #OTtip

1 Like

Both are great ideas. Adding silence at the start of the sample seems like a really easy way to do it. Thanks!

1 Like

try lfo --> amp attack. it won’t shift it but it might produce the illusion of the timing being slightly off.

2 Likes

Or if you don’t want to add silence to your sample data, you could couple a single retrigger plus a HALF-triggered inverse square LFO. Probably a bit awkward, though, since you have to set it up so that when RTIM is low, the LFO speed is high, but assigning those settings to a scene would make it easier to work with.

1 Like

This would turn the octatrack into zeuses dick. If you could have the trigs on grid loosened up I cannot explain how much that would make me happy. Still no other workarounds or updates since then im guessing?

I always live record my hats and apply a % amount of quantize to correct the microtiming a bit. this is super fast and it achieves the desired result.
it works for the RYTM and the digitakt and it is fun. i don’t know for the octatrack but it should have the same features…

I also have a Pyramid. well, it has that random timing feature you are dreaming of which is absolutely great…but on the other side…regarding quantisation you cannot apply a % amount of quantization! :cry: it is either full quantisation or nothing …

2 Likes

The thing is I want everything to jiggle around. I have a 909 app on my phone and I can listen to a loop for a very long time happily because the clock is so hilariously fucked every time it loops round the relationship between the notes is noticeably different. If all my chops drums and synth sounds where churning along on the OT like that it would more than solve the static and dead loop feeling I get with it

Shit now I want a pyramid. Do you know any other sequencers that can do this?

Cirklon for sure…

It can ! Use delay, DIR = 0. TAPE off.
Send Max, Feedback = 0.
Time = 1, Lfo on time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a good idea you know! All sounds will be on or behind so you’d have to put it on everything else too i guess. Its a shame the filter on OT takes up one of the fx slots. I’m eyeing the pyramid up so hard it’s a shame I can’t afford rent or clothes or i would maybe get one

Oh, yeah, duh. Great idea. Set LFO to HOLD for bonus points so you don’t get as many weird pitch warbles when the delay time changes.