LFO Depth on Ratio B

Hi Guys,

I hope you guys have the answer for me. I am trying to figure out the impact of the LFO Depth on the destination of Ratio B. Ratio B has 19 X 19 = 361 different options. The LFO Depth goes to 128. That is about 0,354571 per step. I have started with a ration 0,25 X 0,25 and then put a square wave LFO with a Depth 0.01 on the sequence. The trig is 16 steps long and the LFO Cycle is also 16 steps. On the second page i have a second sound with trigs on step 1 and 9 with length 8 long. So I can compare both sounds to each other.

First it whas pretty clear. With 0.01 LFO it gave me a Ratio of 0.50 x 0.25 to 0.25 to 0.25. So that’s one step above. That goes good till 0.03 with Ratio 1.00 X 0.25. But as soon I put 0.04 Depth on it it goes straight to 3.00 X 0.25. So it skips 2.00 X 0.25.

It looks like there is no logic involved to this. It would be nice if a Depth of 0.35 would be equal to 1 step above or below on the ratio. For me the above looks like a bug and I will report it to Elektron. But perhaps you guys can help me aswell.

Thnkx in forward!

3 Likes

Hey Elektronauts,

In the meanwhile I have had several contact with Elektron, regarding this “issue”. In their opinion this isn’t really a issue. They say “The parameters of Ratio B are mapped instead of scaled. Therefor a modulation doesn’t do what you normally expect. Check the manual for details on those parameters. Try for yourself to seek for the right modulation.”

I was a bit disappointed. Because in no way they could tell me how I could use the LFO depth on Ratio B. They only say it works not as u expect it to work. But how it does work stays a mysterie. In my opinion that is a bug. Because when something doesn’t do what u expect it to do it doesn’t work properly. But they seem to think it doesn’t.

Perhaps one of you can help me with the next two examples.

Example one
I have a Ratio B of 1:00 / 4:00 and I want a sine LFO to have it Sweep between 1:00 / 2:00 and 1:00 / 6:00. Where it it hits al the values in between. How much depth do I have to give the LFO to receive this.

Example 2
I have a Ratio B of 0:25 / 1:00 and I want a ramp LFO to build up from Ratio 0:25 / 1:00 till 16:00 / 1:00 and then goes back. In between I want to hit all the ratios following the wave. How much depth do I give the LFO.

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

I’m actually really interested in figuring things like this out. I can definately see myself wanting to be able to work out and set the exact low and hi value of a modulation destination for the lfo.

Did you ever figure it out?

Hey man, no unfortunately not. For the ratios they isn’t a precise way. Asked even Elektron and they said it is mapped like this. So there isn’t a exact value for the LFO for getting the ratio one up or down. So the LFO can’t modulate your ratio exact how you want. You have to do it by ear. Missed change in my opinion.