Leploop V2 - help please

1 Like

It is easily one of my favourite things!

Hereā€™s a loooong vid I did using mine whilst prepping for a gig. The A4 is controlling the CV pitch of the two Oscillators which is also a lovely thing (once you work out they are hz/v not v/8veā€¦ Thanks Tonylight :o)

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw your jam earlier this yearā€”great work!

We also have the same watch!!

Hi calc, been checking out your videos and I am also really interested in the leploop. Are you sequencing it with the a4?. What about memory, Iā€™ve read somewhere that it can store 10 banks of 16 sequences is that right? Would you recommend a sampler to go with it eg octatrack to capture stuff thatā€™s interesting. I presume it does not store the sounds with the sequences. By the way some of your tracks are brilliant especially that multitude track.

Hey Adelock thanks for the nice words! thatā€™s made me a happy man!

Yes the Leploop is a stunning little device, it is completely unique and sounds like nothing else in my opinion. The crazy-assed cross modulation between the two oscillators has an absolutely ā€œrip yer head offā€ sound and the noise source running through the VCA1 envelope makes (for me) the finest hats sound Iā€™ve ever come across. Especially when you play with both the attack and decay of envelope they become really musical. The Cassa is also a ā€œWatch your speakers!!!ā€ monster tooā€¦ All in all an excellent choice if you can get hold of one.

Also even more thanks to youā€¦ because after your question I re-looked at the manual and it has been totally updated! I thought, I donā€™t remember 10 storage point on the Leploopā€¦ better recheck the manual and low and behold there is a whole new section on the sequencerā€¦ Iā€™ve got me some reading to do myself tonight now.

The way the Leploop is set-up in the video above is that the Analog 4 (now AK) is sending CV pitch to the Leploop (HZ/8ve - not V/8ve) but the internal sequencer of the Leploop is opening the gate. this lets me create new rhythmic sequences on the Leploop but know that the pitch/harmony is in keeping with the rest of the performance. itā€™s super easy to use the VCA1 and VCA2 sequencer to generate new rhythms although I have a feeling I only actually used 2 patterns in the video.

The S&H sequencer is equally fun to play with and it took me a while to fully understand it. But it is totally possible to program the S&H sequencer with pitch too. Being a bucket brigade seuqnecer, it will decay after time though but again that is a huge part of itā€™s quirky charm.

Another cool feature is that the Leploop works with Din sync too so the Analog RTYM is firing din sync out of itā€™s MIDI output (not touching the required MIDI thru connection for the BS2) and starts/stops with the Elektron sequencers. The only technical and fiddly thing I needed to do before each performance was to make sure that both Oscillators were tuned up.

So to answer your specific questions about storing sequencesā€¦ I had no idea that it could do either this so I have learnt something new today. Iā€™ve already told Tonylight that I think the Leploop just doesnā€™t stop givingā€¦ and now there is even more for it to give! Happy days.

Iā€™d heartily recommend themā€¦ they are a lot of fun and more importantly sound killer!

1 Like

+1

Love my Leploop, again nothing else sounds like it

Calc - no problem with the feedback mate, you are doing great stuff, very musical, giving me inspiration to put more melody in my music ! And good cut ups on the videos, keeps them interesting. I look forward to new tracks !

Back to the leploop. I currently have an A4 and was thinking of adding a Monomachine however after seeing the leploop I am attracted to the randomness / unpredictability of the unit which would hopefully spark new ideas. What Iā€™m finding at the minute is - turn everything on, start a beat, add a baseline etc and all gets a bit predictable.

On the other hand the thing that bothers me about the leploop is that itā€™s a more ā€™ in the momentā€™ machine ie once you have something going on it , it would me nigh on impossible to replicate what you did before when you turn it back on. Bit like with a modular or analog synth with no presets.

An alternative would be maybe a Beatstep pro with a couple of analog synths, I already have a microbrute and would add maybe a Boomstar or something with presets like the slim phatty. Potentially I could get some randomness with this set up too due to knobs for changing pitch , random pattern generator etc.

I notice you have a Boomstar too, I was looking at the Sem or se80, what are your thoughts on the Boomstar compared to the leploop sound.

Cheers

Hey Hey Adelock,

Calc - no problem with the feedback mate, you are doing great stuff, very musical, giving me inspiration to put more melody in my music ! And good cut ups on the videos, keeps them interesting. I look forward to new tracks !

Thanks again! Iā€™ll try to keep it up! :joy:

Back to the leploop. I currently have an A4 and was thinking of adding a Monomachine however after seeing the leploop I am attracted to the randomness / unpredictability of the unit which would hopefully spark new ideas. What Iā€™m finding at the minute is - turn everything on, start a beat, add a baseline etc and all gets a bit predictable.

On the other hand the thing that bothers me about the leploop is that itā€™s a more ā€™ in the momentā€™ machine ie once you have something going on it , it would me nigh on impossible to replicate what you did before when you turn it back on.

The Leploop certainly can be unpredictable and to be honest thatā€™s a huge part of its charm.
Its quite a basic synth to program sound wise and it has a character and sound that you easily learn to work with. I couldnā€™t say I can replicate every sound any time on it but I feel I kinda know how to coax what I want from it.
When set to sequence from the S&H sequencer (for pitch and other things) though it can become really really randomā€¦ I like that aspect a lot to be honest and it throws up some grooves that you just donā€™t get with other stuff. Iā€™m lucky enough that everything is patched into my studio so when I get a groove that I really like Iā€™ll generally just record it at that moment. Thats the way I make music thoughā€¦ pretty much always record everything completely live as a one pass take.

One way round itā€™s randomness is to control the pitch CV with the A4 (like in the video) this will give you a more pitch stable output from the Leploop and whilst sonically the instrument constantly changes, your sequences can be more ā€œmusicalā€ this way. Its pretty powerful when sequenced like another voice on the A4.

Bit like with a modular or analog synth with no presets.

Thatā€™s exactly what it is :joy:

An alternative would be maybe a Beatstep pro with a couple of analog synths, I already have a microbrute and would add maybe a Boomstar or something with presets like the slim phatty. Potentially I could get some randomness with this set up too due to knobs for changing pitch , random pattern generator etc.

This would definitely be a good set-up too although quite different from the Leploop. Iā€™ve already said it but one thing I really love about the Leploop is itā€™s completely unique sound and voice combination. Itā€™s not just a single voice synth it has 4 sequencers of its own and with the sound assignment on the sequencers it can easily be a complete instrument/groovebox in itā€™s own right.
Whilst all the synths you mention are open to some lovely sound programming they are all analogue monos so cannot really achieve the same style of output as the Leploop. In an ideal world Iā€™d recommend the Leploop and something else or even just with the A4ā€¦ then you have both options.

BTW if youā€™re looking for a powerful analogue mono with (128) presets with A LOT of sound designā€¦ oddly enough I can heartily recommend the Novation Bass Station 2ā€¦ I guess I would say that though :wink:

The BS2 is genuinely a beast of a synth but may not fit with you as it has no CV control. If you do go for a Beatstep Pro, the MIDI from that would be a good way to control the BS2. Also there are 4 programmable 32 step sequences available on the BS2 to and the knob per function on the instrument is pretty full on so there is a hella lot of tweakbility in it directly.

I notice you have a Boomstar too, I was looking at the Sem or se80, what are your thoughts on the Boomstar compared to the leploop sound.

I also really like the Boomstar too, I got the 4075 filter with the thinking that I will never ever (well unlikely to) gig with my ARP 2600 so I wanted this particular variant to gig with as an alternative. The filter is nice in this boxā€¦ almost as good as the ARP but not quite as screamy.
The architecture and layout of the Boomstar is also really nice and usable with a lot of frequency modulation possibilities. I havenā€™t played on the SEM model but I have tried out the SE80 and the dual filter on that one is pretty damn monster as well.
I donā€™t think itā€™s really possible to compare the Boomstar with the Leploop as they are completely different things and sound very different. If I had to choose between them though I would go for the Leploop itā€™s just more individual and complete.
That said if I was looking for a powerful mono synth with CV and MIDI with a huge palate of soundsā€¦ you cannot go wrong with the Boomstar eitherā€¦ it definitely kicks ass. Remember though this is an analogue synth with no presets.

Food for thought!

PS
I recorded a track I was considering putting up on SC that features quite a bit of Leploop being arpeggiated by the Analog Keys. Iā€™ll probably put that up this weekend so you can have a listen so Iā€™ll let you know when itā€™s up.

-CALC-

Hi calc, cheers for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Regarding the BS2 I have been really considering one, considering the current prices.
With regards to the leploop, tony is doing another run soon so I need to put myself on the list if I want one.
Managed to check out some gear at the elektron / modular meet today.
Played with the Boomstar se80 at production room. Thought it sounded good but a bit harsh for me.
Also played with the 4075 and was sold on that one. It was being sequenced with the Beatstep pro and I loved that as well.
Also managed a quick go on the rytm (courtesy of bluewolfse7en cheers mate) and was impressed with that as well.
Definitely think Iā€™m sold on the Boomstar either 4075 or SEM and the Beatstep.
Then itā€™s down to whether i order a leploop and possibly BS2. If money were no object Iā€™d get the lot. I was also thinking I could possibly sequence the leploop with Beatstep as well, as an alternative to its built in sequencers. Lots of options.
Btw I checked out your soundcloud and that cungalow 2 track is another stunner.

You need to get a CD out with your best tracks.

Hey Adelock,

Good to hear you got a chance to play on the Boomstars over the weekendā€¦ playing them is really the only way to make the right decision.
Yes the 4075 is a doozer too and has a huge sound, I can heartily recommend it. One thing to bear in mind is that it does have CV and Gate in so you could easily sequence it from the A4ā€™s CV tracks if you wanted.

The meet-up in Leeds sounded good, I bumped into Edd from Sonic State yesterday and he said it was a good day.

It may be further down the line for you now but If youā€™re still interested I just put up a track on Soundcloud that features the Leploop quite a bit.

Leploop is sequenced from the Analog keys with the CV outs as is an SH101. The internal sequencer of the Leploop is controlling the gate programmed across all 16 steps. They are both running into Strymon pedals for reverb/delay shizzle.

My favourite little section of this track builds up to around 7.20 where the Leploop letā€™s rip FMā€™ing the hell out of itself. You can hear pretty well there how filthy, unique and lovely it sounds at that point. listen out for the back beat white-noise hats from the Leploop too.

Heres the track - itā€™s a bit long and rambling but thatā€™s fine by me :wink:

Let me know how you get on with your purchases!

-CALC-

1 Like

Hi calc, another brilliant track mate, gave me a good idea of what the leploop can do !! I like the raw live sound of the tracks, makes them more alive.

So a few (a lot) technical questions for you. I note you said the leploop came in about 7 mins and also I take it the leploop Is doing similar at about 2.50. Are the leploop and sh101 playing the same arpeggio, with leploop coming in over the top at different points.

Also how are you keeping the leploop in time, midi or cv. Also as the leploop has 4 tracks are you only using one oscillator for the synth part and the other for hats (no cassa).

Could you sequence the two synth oscillators separately from the A4 using the fx and cv tracks ie sending pitch from fx track to one oscillator and pitch from cv track to the other oscillator ( then you could run both back into A4 playing different melodies) do the oscillators have to come out of the main mix. Is the cassa only seperate.

Also I take it you have to program the steps on the a4 and on the leploop sequencer to play at exactly the same time for this to work. Could you send gate as well to the leploop and bypass the leploop sequencer.

Are you only using the cv pitch from the a4 and no gate.

Also did you suss out the pattern saving on the leploop.
Sorry about so many questions no rush for the answers.

Thanks again

Hey Adelock

Hi calc, another brilliant track mate, gave me a good idea of what the leploop can do !! I like the raw live sound of the tracks, makes them more alive.

Cheers mateā€¦ yes recording and playing it all live is what I definitely prefer. I really donā€™t have the time or inclination to labour over tons of details these days so being able to turn everything on hit record and see what happens really suits me. If its good I keep it, if its not I can bin it off.

It feels like being in a band but you are the whole band!

So a few (a lot) technical questions for you. I note you said the leploop came in about 7 mins and also I take it the leploop Is doing similar at about 2.50. Are the leploop and sh101 playing the same arpeggio, with leploop coming in over the top at different points.

Well spotted man, thatā€™s exactly whats happening. the SH and Leploop are playing exactly the same lines just interweaving.

Also how are you keeping the leploop in time, midi or cv. Also as the leploop has 4 tracks are you only using one oscillator for the synth part and the other for hats (no cassa).

So the Pitch information is being sent to both of the Leploopā€™s oscillators with the CV output on the AK.
The sequence is actually a straight set of 16ths programmed on the Leploopā€™s own Env 2 sequencer. I think I was using it to open the filter. If the cut off is set low enough you can use the A/R of the envelopes for nice shaping duties. The Leploop also can clock from DIN sync too so the RTYM is firing that over to it and keeping everything nice and tight.
Envelope 1 is taking care of the hats sound, there is a separate noise generator in the Leploop so you donā€™t have to take up one of the oscillator channels.
Part of the fun of this beast is the mix and cross modulation interplay between the Leploop oscillators.

Could you sequence the two synth oscillators separately from the A4 using the fx and cv tracks ie sending pitch from fx track to one oscillator and pitch from cv track to the other oscillator ( then you could run both back into A4 playing different melodies) do the oscillators have to come out of the main mix. Is the cassa only seperate.

This is a brilliant idea and yes it is total possible. I think I will give it a go to see what happens too.
The Mix out feeds everything but there are two more Mini Jack outputs you could use, Oscillator Mix and VCO2 out. Iā€™m guessing that if you set the Oscillator mixer knob to just VCO1 then you could separate the two VCOs outputs using these.
In fact theres a ton of modular features on this box there are 9 CV/Gate outputs and 4 CV inputs that can be used for all sorts of things. It plays nicely with my ARP 2600 too :joy:

Also I take it you have to program the steps on the a4 and on the leploop sequencer to play at exactly the same time for this to work. Could you send gate as well to the leploop and bypass the leploop sequencer.

Yep both need to be programmed and there is no way to gate the VCA signal externally (at least that I can see).
There is however a CV input to the filter so I guess maybe you could open/close the filter with a gate or Linear signal from the AK. again set the cut off low enough with the cut off modulation high enough it can act as a kind of (but not at all really )VCA.
Programming this track was easy enough though as I mentioned it was just 16 continuous gate steps on the Leploop sequencer and 16 CV pitch steps per bar from the AK to the Leploop VCOs.

Are you only using the cv pitch from the a4 and no gate.

Also did you suss out the pattern saving on the leploop.

Yes and not yetā€¦ it is on my list though!

Sorry about so many questions no rush for the answers.

Thanks again

My pleasure dude, once you get me started on a product I like, itā€™s difficult to shut me upā€¦ which is quite handy for my job! :wink:
Easy
-CALC-

Cheers calc, great explanation again, I got it sussed in my head now.

Well I will put myself on the leploop list and decide for definite when they are ready to ship.

I am on hols for a couple of weeks now so will probably know more when I get back.

You will have to get novation to buy leploop and then you would be able to talk about them all day !!!

Couple of final things, I know you have the rytm so what I am thinking is a4, rytm, leploop combo, like what you have.

I have the a4 but currently use a sonic potions lxr. I am wondering if the rytm is worth having or whether it overlaps a lot with the a4. Iā€™m even considering switching the a4 to rytm cos I love the interface but wonder if the synth capabilities of the rytm would be too restrictive.

Obviously I would need to get Beatstep then though to control cv.

So alternative would be something like rytm, Beatstep, leploop , Boomstar and Eventide space for effects.

Costs would be in similar ballpark.

What would you say regards to rytm and A4. I do love the A4 but find I am using it a lot for drums and putting multiple sounds on one track which is fun to do but after playing the pads on the rytm last week, it felt more intuitive, like playing whatā€™s in your head rather than programming trigs if you know what I mean. I could even ditch the rytm idea which would mean I could perhaps go for third option of the leploop and Boomstar with the A4.

Canā€™t really afford to get all of them so am looking at potential affordable combinations.

I will check out your answer when I am back from hols.

Ade

Still leploop love here ? Thinking getting one. Sounds nice and looks fun.

Still huge love for Leploop from me, itā€™s still one of my favourite things and I use it all the time. I heartily recommend it!

I now mainly sequence the Leploop synth parts with a Novation Circuit (through the rather brilliant Arpie by six4pix) via MIDI. This gives me some nice notey action and when Iā€™m ready, I switch to the internal S&H sequencer when take it to outer space. Its taken me a long time to get my head around the instrument and it is still fairly crazy to control but Iā€™m fully confident with it now and have my ways and means of coaxing what I want out of it. It is a lot of fun to play with.

The noise Osc through VCA1 is still my go to hats sound too. There is nothing else quite like it.
Tonylightā€™s been busy on a new synth too the ArpĆøPhoneā€¦ that looks nice and mad as ever too, heā€™ll have it with him at SuperBooth this year.

Thanks! Will go for it. Love the sound.

Does anyone still rocking the Leploop?

I had a V1 some years ago and now a V2 itā€™s landed in my house;
Obviously I donā€™t remember how it works

• Well, honestly I probably never knew it - :smile:

Anyway, it sound raw and nasty as I remembered.

One thing Iā€™d like to change are the knobs, I saw that some people did it with theirs.
Since I am not a knobā€™s expert, does anyone would recommend me the right size to choose?

Iā€™d pay you to show me an approach to the bloody thing. I want to love it, but it just collects dust these days. A friend coined it the Italian Car Alarm! So please show me???

2 Likes

Hey Hey Honeysmack,

Howā€™s the watch :o).

My Leppy is on vacation eating risotto over in Milan this week. I got Tonylight to give it a little service (and a couple of hopefully nice mods too).

When itā€™s back I have decided to do full video on it, Iā€™ve been threatening it for a few years but itā€™s now time! It has definitely taken quite a long time to get used to all the features on the Leploop, it is rather a step learning curve if you want to get it to behave like a normal thing.
If youā€™re happy with just generating interesting noises and sequences itā€™s fine but if you want to be a bit more controlled over what itā€™s doing itā€™s a bit more tricky.
I have developed a nice technique for programming the S&H sequencer more musically whilst the sequencer is still running so Iā€™d like to show that as well as an overview of the whole structure.
Hopefully Leploop will be back in the fold in the next couple of weeks so Iā€™ll figure out when to film something then.

I still absolutely love the Leploop and everything else from the Lep guys. I also use the Piatinno noise/VCA hi-hat machine, its one of only 3 modules that I own!

Hope all is good with you.
-CALC-

2 Likes

Thanks Calc, the watch is doing fine - howsā€™ yours?? :wink:

Yeah Iā€™m happy generating interesting noise and sequencers, that why I bought it. Iā€™ve really struggled with it and it seemed my Leploop had a MIDI sync issue that was never really resolved, but it could be user error! Havenā€™t used it in long time, but noticed you include it many of your demos, so am patiently waitingā€¦I even featured it my tetris photo

Eagerly await your video!

thanks mate

1 Like