Lenovo Thinkpad notebook for productions

Aha! Well out with this tool then…

This one seems to be the new standard for DPC monitoring. It’s more fully featured too, generates reports that make it easier to identify problem drivers

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

1 Like

No power plan tweaking, browser and wifi on: (no ableton or USB audio interfaces)

Tweaked power plan, no browser/network, Ableton running with Xone:96 + AR2 OB :

If I connect LAN and open Firefox it will soon start throwing buffer underrun warnings.

I had this running for a full 30 min without any warnings. When I reverted to a standard power plan I had a power management warning within 5 min. Supports what I was experiencing in practice, this guide really helps solving hiccups:

1 Like

Awesome! What kind of round trip latency are you seeing at the interface?

Found another tool that might be useful for people having trouble with bad network drivers causing DPC dropouts. The intel wifi card in a lot of thinkpads is notorious for this, and up until now I had to disable wifi when tracking anything live. Downloaded this and applied the ‘optimal’ settings and now I’m seeing similar results to you above, 100us average with occasional spikes of 500us even with wifi on and a browser open, a massive improvement.

Disabling the default realtek audio in device manager also helped!

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

edit: also realised I can cut my roundtrip latency to 2ms just by setting the sample rate to 96khz and taking a small CPU hit. I’ve had this interface for years. I’m dumb.

My testing is done with ableton, xone:96 and OB set at 128 samples buffer and 48khz. That s about 10msec roundtrip. I haven t tried pushing it further.

For the sake of science and experimentation I ran latencymon with my Ableton, Xone:96, AR2 OB system set at highest performance settings: 32 samples buffer size (smallest my Xone:96 driver will allow even though it lists lower ones), 96khz sample rate. OB engine also with 32 samples buffer size, highest speed perf mode and smallest buffer safety margin.

Ran for 3,5 hours while I was working in the house. Still no warnings. I wasn’t listening for any audio glitches though. Ableton hovers at around 15% buffer load. CPU getting markedly hotter, unsurprisingly.

Next I d like to find out what device is causing these slow calls to the kernel mode driver framework…

1 Like