LED light for youtube videos

usually 1-2 elektrons, or 1 elektron + Moog Mother+DFAM placed next to each other

No idea. Maybe just some additional lamps (like the JANSJÖ) might do the job as well

if you want I could try tonight for you since I have two of them …only have an iPhone 6 though - but should be even better for the test.

1 Like

Sure, that should be helpful!

Just have to work a bit on the appearance of my videos (thumbnails, lightning etc.) cause people get so professional these days :slight_smile:

Just tested a bit … it’s not so easy as I thought. I suppose you need a good lighting concept (back-, fill- and keylight) to have an even brightness overall. I’d recommend to get dimmable lights. Also I noticed that the screens of my elektron gear are flickering which is imho a disturbance (tested with iPhone 6 and iPad Pro) - same with the iPhone 8?

didn‘t film a lot with the iphone 8 cause I bought it recently. this i did just fast for instagram. but that‘s how my light looks at nighttime

looks certainly better than my previous Samsung Galaxy S6

The Neewer 660 LED is very nice for lightning objects I bought this one for my tutorials on Elektron Machines (Don’t forget something to diffuse lights in any case bulb or led, will always get better results with good diffusers) this is a really nice light because you can powered by battery or adaptor …
You have white and yellow amount of lights so it’s cool because depending on the scene you can warm up your machine or make it more cold/blue/white… etc…

Therefore for filming people it’s not sufficient you need at least 3 of those so photographer lights are better for the price like this (one for TOP and 2 for the sides) :

That’s really the first step and the less expensive on lightning … you will achieve a satisfying result but nothing like pros on YouTube who use APUTURE 120d with dome or LS C300d around 1000 euros for only 1 light…

But it’s really something like more than one step further regarding lightning capabilities and quality

Also, the YONGNUO YN360 II Pro LED is very cool in your scene because you can choose the color with an app so you can mimic every main colors of your elektron with it to inject some of the blue of the digitone or the orange of the digitakt (if we focus on the function button color, the opposite if it’s the packaging)

to put out of field

2 Likes

doesn’t look too bad … but I think some colour would be more important - so a fill light and some colour in the background? LED Stripes are pretty cheap these days but there you also have to look for PWM flickering - cheap LED drivers tend to have a very slow PWM. Lighting is very difficult and if you want lighting like a pro you have to look at big lights with diffusors like William linked

also maybe a fog machine would fit perfectly to your music and ambience :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I have the feeling you are not talking about pulse width modulation :slight_smile:

no I don’t want lighting like a pro :slight_smile: . Just a bit of improvement, so that they are nicer to look at

1 Like

I am… that is how LEDs are driven. The slower the more interference possible (flickering) with your shutterspeed/framerate

2 Likes

remember, positioning of the lights is equally or even more important then quality of the light.
you can get perfect shoots with cheap Ikea style lamp if you play with camera and light angles.
vice versa, most expensive lights, when in wrong places, can look bad

I am speaking this with my 20 years as a proffesional photographer.

as I can see from your videos, the lights are too close to the scene, so thats why you are getting differences in light on the elektron machines, and too dark shadows.

also, try to play with camera position, maybe to buy some better stand for iphone, so that your frame is more leveled.

3 Likes

I think you might mean phasing rather than pulse width modulation.

Gorilla Stands are great! I have one for my smartphone and one for my DSLR.

1 Like

Read all about LED dimming here:

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2016/oct/how-to-dim-an-led-without-compromising-light-quality

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s just the method by which the light is dimmed - the flickering is caused by phasing of the on/off part of the pulse against the camera frame rate. The pulse width is not being constantly modulated.

1 Like

Ah, okay… I understand! Thanks for pointing that out. Really sad though that Elektron’s displays are phasing … I bet it could be prevented.

I totally get what you mean about the flickering being worse when the pulse width is narrower (and the light is dimmer). I just meant that the flickering itself is a result of the pulse frequency phasing with the shutter frequency rather than the pulse width being modulated. All good!

1 Like

I think the newer OLED displays are worse for that than the older LCD ones with LED backlights… I think with the OLED you can sometimes even see the flicker if you turn your head to look at it quickly.

I only know the ones from OT MK2 and DT/DN …haven’t noticed it without a camera so far - would be very unhappy if it was like that.

Good to hear. The legibility on the new ones is definitely so much better. I’ve not used one at length but I remember Cuckoo saying he was quite sensitive to a slight flickering from them. I’d rather have OLED on everything (as long as ghosting/burn in isn’t an issue).

haven’t checked on the Digis but my OT mk2 display already shows signs of burn-ins sadly. I don’t understand why elektron is not releasing a new firmware with a) a dim option and b) a screensaver - turning display either off or make some fancy space invader animation or whatever :robot: