Leaving audio cables plugged in, wear and tear?

Quick question, is it safe to leave the audio cables plugged into the Elektron machines or will this cause damage?

I’m trying to get the longest life I can out of these machines because they are a joy to work with.

I currently have a DN and A4 if anyone was wondering.

Thank you!

I guess it’s just the other way around: plug/unplugging them thousands of times wears them out. Leaving them in prevents also any oxidation effects of the contacts (depends on the used materials, of course) in the long run.

7 Likes

Thanks for the quick response! I’ll leave them in!

Wanted to ask a follow up question. In the case of outputs on gear that have nothing plugged in because they’re not being use, should there be something there to prevent dust from getting into the machine. If so, is there some type of official item that you would use?

You can use mini jack to jack adapters, or this kind of items.
My own way to do is to put some thick piece of fabric on top, it’s largely sufficient imo

1 Like

My Virus C sits up at an angle, so I think it would be a good idea to cover the outputs. Thanks for the advice!

There are actually rubber plugs you can use to prevent dust from getting into the machine.

3 Likes

no answer to that question, but from my experience many instruments suffer more by not using them…

1 Like

Always use a dustcover when not playing
Been doing it for 40 years now and hardly have scratchy pots etc

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely be investing in some dust covers!!

glad i found this, was gonna ask same question. leaving cables in too

1 Like