Learning the DN - any idea how these bass tones were made?

Love this video and love the bass tones he is getting out of the DN here. Looks like the combo is MPC1000 as clock, drums from DT and sounds like the bass from the DN.

Would love to recreate this bass sound in the first 7 minutes. He is clearly Plocking some parts, but that core low end sound he is getting is really great. Hits nice and hard and has a rubbery, almost sh101 vibe for being FM.

I have not watched the entire video, but I suspect there are a lot of DN sound design gems in there

Curious if you folks have any ideas on how he made these sounds

2 Likes

Ah yes, love those modulated FM basslines. Sounds like it’s a nice interplay of several basstones at ones, some of them with a very low carrier ratio. You can achieve a similar sound by p-locking the amount and ratio of the modulator(s), and maybe also the feedback. I did something similar on the syntakt here - though one octave higher.

3 Likes

Great work on this, really nice tunes here. It does sound similar to what he’s doing. Really love this style since you can get so much variety.

1 Like

hard to hear from camera microphone but there’s a factory preset ELECTRICBASS EA very similar to that sound, I think there’s at least two tracks playing there, one for bass one for sort of fx, maybe I’m wrong though, hard to hear from camera mic…

2 Likes

Awesome, Ill check that preset out and see if I can use it as a starting point. At one point it sounds like he has a unison sound going with a root/5 combo as well.

This guy is a great house producer, pretty cool to see him killing it with the DT/DN combo.

1 Like

scroll through the whole bass tag just in case :slight_smile:
I’m pretty sure you’ll find lots of cool bass sounds you can start from, there are really cool sounds there…

Pretty sure that “EA” means that the preset is by our resident documentation maven @eangman.

3 Likes

If you’re talking about that really sproingy bass plonky thing toward the beginning, then it’s actually very simple. In fact, you can make those on a subtractive synth provided it has LINEAR FM. (you can do it with exponential FM, but then you can’t keep it in tune) This is actually the simplest form of 2 operator (or two oscillator FM) You’re hearing two sine waves basically.

One is modulating the other. The first (carrier) is tuned at the audio frequency that you want. The second would be at high-ish LFO rate and up into the audio range. You can play the first with notes, and use either a sine LFO to modulate its frequency, or an operator using sine wave modulating it.

The modulator can either track the note frequency (though lower by X amount (maybe an octave or two) or it can be a static or arbitrary pitch.

You don’t want to hear the second VCO, just use it to modulate the pitch of the first.

That will get you this exact sound.

On the Digitone, you just need an algorithm that has one operator modulating the next. Like maybe the one that has two parallel sets of two. Faded all the way toward X or Y (so you only hear the one pair).

Or you can use the one with four parallel single operators, and only modulate with an LFO.

Either way, you’ll get a similar result.

The easiest way to build a patch like that, just to get used to it, would be an init patch, (sine wave) then assign a sine wave LFO to pitch, and set the depth to low values until it wavers quickly, and start playing some notes. To get it to sound more springy though, you’ll also want to change the LFO’s rate per step, so maybe use the second LFO in the random mode, and time it per 16th note to control the pitch of the first LFO.

If you want it to stay more in tune, then switch from using the LFO to using a second operator. The B-Page in the synth settings is where you can set the modulation levels. This method will sound better, but will take more experimentation to get right.

7 Likes

This is super helpful, thanks. Even in a general way since it explains some of the parts of the DN I was fuzzy on. Appreciate it.

1 Like

I don’t currently have a Digitone, or I’d do a step by step as well. I do plan to grab one again when I can though, so maybe I can add that later on.

1 Like

Yes I think that is one of the presets I made for the Digitone :slight_smile:

9 Likes