Learning the A4: recreating patches troubles

Hi all,

Just got an A4 and learning all about the way to use this lovely synths. One of the ways I approach this is by picking a random pre-installed patch I like and recreating it in an empty/cleared to default track. However I run into some trouble with some patches: after rebuilding the patch with the preset as an example usually I get the same sound out of the A4. But sometimes I don’t, resulting in a sound that is close to the preset but not it…

Steps I take:
-load up a preset on track 1
-clear track 2, start copying (either manually or with copy/paste command) the osc1 through lfo pages (yes I’m aware some of them have got two pages). Meanwhile playing the note trigs to see what the effects of the different settings are.
When done with the second lfo page I’ve either arrived at the preset patch sound. Or not. In which case I’ve checked:
-FX track settings (to my understanding this effects the overall A4’s sound output, not those of individual tracks)
-polyphony settings (making sure its disabled)
-even the arp/note settings and setup, nothing here
-For both tracks got the same octave range set
-sound settings
-performance settings, I use a new project with everything default/not touched so nothing there

But I can’t figure out what’s causing me not being able to reproduce the preset patch… Feels like I’m missing some major setting that effects the sound but can’t figure out what it is.

Who can help this beginner?

Did you check the velocity mod settings?

3 Likes

There’s a couple of parameters where just a few difference can have a huge impact in A/B : gain staging, Neighbor, LFO in FM mode, Overdrive, Effects, AM, SMD, SNC…
And last but not least Unison + number of voices because it’s hidden in preference and must be save in a kit not in a sound… so it can be dramatic in A/B

Also did you check your envelopes / LFO and all slots … really minor differences depending on matrix destinations can have a huge impact

Maybe you should gives us A/B audio snippets but I’m not sure we can help without to be in front of the machine…

1 Like

Thanks guys! In this case it was indeed the velocity mod settings.

Feels a bit counterintuitive that settings with such an impact are quite hidden. Can you explain what the function of these velocity mod settings are?

1 Like

The velocity of a note (in the sequencer or from an incoming MIDI note message) can be used as a source of modulation. The value of velocity is used to modulate (change; increasing or decreasing) the value of one or more parameters in the synth engine or the effects. Hence the sound can be wildly different depending on the velocity of the notes!

3 Likes

velocity mod settings are also one of the most important settings regarding playability and feeling of your sounds through synthesis while playing the sounds…

with after touch
modulation wheel
pitch wheel
and performance knobs

2 Likes

Can you save a kit to be used anywhere, not just in that one project? Like if I make a cool bass sound using Unison voicing and NEI tracking routing, is there any way to reload that elsewhere or back that up to my computer?

You can copy kits between projects. Use the usual copy and paste combos on the Kit load/save list.

You can save Sounds to the +Drive. I rarely use this so I wont try to describe it.

1 Like

Hey, is there any way to save or backup kits to the +Drive (or even a computer)?

I keep making phat patches where i’m running an oscillator/feedback through all the tracks’ filters using NEI on each while their in Unison voicing with them detuned… but then I can’t easily recall it elsewhere without opening that project to manually copy it. We can save/backup sounds and projects, but not kits, is that right?

EDIT: Turns out you can export Kits to a computer as a sysex file and import them to any project whenever you need! I’m on macOS so I use SysEX Liberian to save kits from the Sysex Send menu on the A4.

So here’s the data structure of the A4 from the manual:

Here we can see that, on the top level, the only things that can be saved are sounds (in the +drive) and projects. Everything else (including kits) is a part of a project, so must be saved or loaded with it.

1 Like