Learning Music Theory

There is definitely the danger of the process becoming kinda mechanical and I’ve seen this happen with many of my friends. That whole what is “supposed” to happen here seems to take things over easily.

I also know so many previously interesting and promising musicians that ended up sounding average and honestly boring after studying music theory. More predictable and less personal.

Especially with synths that offer endless harmonic possibilities and sounds that are not bound by the laws of physics it seems like theory in many cases just keeps things grounded in the worst possible way.

I know this might sound extremely pretentious and idiotic, but, to me learning music theory is about as relevant and desirable as learning sexual theory. I don’t wan it to be rational, at all. I don’t want to think when making music.
Just a playful thought that rings very true to me nevertheless lol.

Intuitive exploration is where it’s at IMO.

Music theory is not a set of rules or even boundaries. It can be best viewed as a dictionary of terms or a common language of music processes.

For example, an area of music theory will describe the different scales but there is no requirement to pick one scale over another and nor are you obligated to use only the notes within a specific scale (hence passing notes).

4 Likes

But those are rules and boundaries, the ones that we use to communicate with each other. Something can be grammatically correct, and some people will even be told they speak ‘wrong’ because they don’t follow the prescriptive language theory outlined by their betters.

But there is a pressure to exist within one of them.

But scales are interesting in that I see them as reverse engineered. They’re a way to document what sounds good - so I wouldn’t call them rules to be fair.

I think theory has ruined jazz. It has made it meaningless and boring snobbery.

Anytime you take the mystery away from something it becomes less magical to you. I’ve experienced this in many things in life. Understanding how electronics and electricity work for example.

It kind of sucks to lose that magic. At the same time, you move into the role of providing that magic for other people. Inspiring a new generation of magic and mystery seekers :smiley:

1 Like

It’s rules, but they don’t need to be followed. It would be call Music Facts then wouldn’t it :joy:

Words are ridiculously for communication. Maybe we could try talking with music?

1 Like

To me a rule is something which states “you must do this” or “you cannot do that”, I have never seen any statements like that in the music theory books I have read.

There is no implicit pressure to exist within in any scale or mode or style. What music theory books may explain are progressions that are commonly pleasing to the human ear. A bit like why happy endings are popular in films.

2 Likes

That is true but to me personally the primary reason for making music is to explore stuff and entertain myself and if someone else likes it that’s a cool bonus.

I like to know the traffic rules and how practical things in the world work and keep art as an experimental playground that has no rules or regulations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

C# !!!

… sorry that was uncalled for.

1 Like

Would you care to state just one music theory rule?

That’s fair, however as discussed defining and learning theory can create rules and boundaries.

If you spent 10 years learning to play tennis a certain way then that is the way you will play tennis. To play tennis any differently would require you to subvert the rules that you have learnt - nobody will punish you for breaking them and nobody says you have to hit a ball a certain way - but if that’s how you’re told to do it, and you spend hours practicing it that way, that’s how you will do it.

Not the best analogy…

This is an exact case where you it really doesn’t matter if you learn theory or not. If you’re doing it only for yourself, then absolutely no advice applies except your own. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Allow me: you must tune your instrument “appropriately”.

I dare you to change the reference from 440Hz

1 Like

Sorry but you tennis comparison is not quite the same thing. Music theory does not teach you how to play an instrument.

If an author reads a dictionary it is unlikely to change the stories he writes and if someone reads a dictionary it does not mean they would become an author.

No but it teaches you how to make songs, right? Or at least that’s the idea. Imperfect analogy aside I think the point it makes still stands, in that crafting art around a set of conditions will make your art conditional, avoiding that then requires subversion.

An interesting middle ground to explore might be what we all consider ‘just enough’ theory - is there a basic set of knowledge that we feel anyone and everyone would benefit from? It stands to reason few of us will learn everything, so what’s the important bit?

Must you, and what is “appropriately”.

There are plenty of different tunings used in music and you are not obligated to use any of them.

If you wish you can devise you own tuning, there are instruments that allow you to do that.

1 Like

Perhaps an interesting example of this is that a guitar is fixed to equal intonation. Music theory resulted in the instrument having a strict boundary in how you can make music, applying rules to it.

If you want to break out of that you either need a fretless guitar or perhaps a microtonal guitar.

Albeit I wouldn’t want to get too caught up in that side of the debate - because I think those are rules most people aren’t interested in breaking - and will follow with or without education.

I found myself working primarily in Minor scales before I knew what a Minor scale was.

1 Like

Personally I think having a good grounding in chord and scale composition (major, minor, seventh, diminished), intervals, and the circle of fifths will get you a long way. Major scale modes would also be useful, even more so if you are playing guitar. This is a good grounding, without getting too into the weeds and allowing a bit of freedom to explore.

IMO…

3 Likes

For example if you decide to tune your piano so that its not in any tune all of the theory regarding scales, notes and chords fly out of the window and there is no way to explain things anymore to others or to make any kind of accurate notations.

My point is in that learning music theory puts one immediately in a framework that demands that certain rules are followed.
The same goes with rhythms, it locks everything in a grid in order for it to work.

Theory demands that you have to be able to write it down somehow and that is a rule IMO.