Learning Model:Cycles, beginner's questions

Thanks for the info, distortion is fine but digital clipping is not.Using more than one strong sounds/presets causes the problem.Lowering the track volumes and the master gain knob as described above solves the issue, I think I can live with that.

1 Like

Are you able to record an example of this? The natural overdrive of the unit shouldn’t be harsh.

2 Likes

Yip

distortion is a very broad term and subjective, for example my favourite type of distortion is digital cliping…would be nice to hear what you mean…

Ah crap! I didn’t see the notification when you asked! Sorry about that.:confounded:

If I remember right, there was a slip of paper in the box mine came in that prompted me to register it and get the pack, but I’m not sure now.

I do remember registering it on the elektron.se website and I’m pretty sure it is (or was?) there as a download.

The tone machine can also make sounds that sound like hard clipped distortion. If the sweep control and the shape are both high and the contour is low you can get some pretty distorted sounds, but it is just a part of fm synthesis.

1 Like

I think the high settings plus another distorted channel causing the issue.Lowering the settings on both tracks solved the issue for me.Maybe this amount of distortion is too much for me.Thank you all for the advices.

2 Likes

I have a M:C arriving tomorrow and so I am going over this thread. I think you are contradicting something I saw in a video tutorial. Can’t you hold [FUNC] + [SETTINGS] for a permanent save instead of a temp save? If they changed this in a firmware update, my apologies.

That’s how I’ve been doing it with no issues so far. Usually when I make a new pattern though I’ll first save it in the settings so it prompts me to name it and helps me remember it too.
After that, any changes I want to keep I’ll hold FUNC and SETTINGS. I temp save for little experiments.

1 Like

Is there a way to set BPM to global or is it always tied to the pattern?

Is there a way to move your pattern left or right a step the way you can in grid view on the digitakt?

Manual, page 25:

All trigs of a track can be shifted forwards or backward on the sequencer. While in GRID RECORDING mode, hold down [TRACK] while turning LEVEL/DATA

1 Like

One option would be to sync to an external midi clock.

3 Likes

I definitely plan to do that at some point. I’ve grown to prefer the global BPM for whatever reasons.

I’m gonna focus on just model:cycles for a few days to get the hang of it. I guess I will just get used to adjusting the BPM or maybe just work in 120 bpm for a while.

worked perfectly BTW, big thanks. :slight_smile:

hello! did you find a solution to this problem? I just ran into the same thing!

Copy-paste question. Is there a way to copy a track’s sequence together with its sound? It seems sequence and sound can only be copy-pasted individually. It makes it really tedious to reorganize patterns and prone to errors, when preparing for a live set for example.

Track + Copy/Rec should copy the whole Track, not just the sound.
(I think I’m recalling this correctly, it’s been a while)

Thanks for chiming in but no, it doesn’t. Just the sound patch :slight_smile:

Ah, sorry! Then maybe it’s Func + Rec while you are in grid rec mode.
Funny, it’s all muscle memory. Couldn’t find the specific shortcut in the manual actually. (Only had a brief look though)

2 Likes

That s what I was doing. But both in rec mode or not it copies only the sound. There isn’t a copy seq+sound shortcut in the manual so I’m assuming it s just not there.

Strange. From the Digitakt Manual:

I don’t see why it would be any different on the models.

Come to think of it: my AR2 also doesn’t copy track trig seq+sound. Need to store the sound to pool, copy trig seq, paste in new pattern, load stored sound on it. Tedious all this. My MD and MnM do this super quick and elegant in one go.