Learning Model:Cycles, beginner's questions

I’ve had Cycles for 2 weeks- first time using an Elektron synthesizer.
Some questions:

1. I’ve noticed that the presets in my previously saved patterns change. I save them where I want to be but the sounds are sometimes different when I return. Is this because I used the same presets in other patterns and the changes I made there affected the patterns that the presets were in before? I thought I was simply saving the patterns, not saving-over presets along with them… How do I save patterns without affecting the presets within other patterns?

2. I’ve used a Korg Monologue and a Circuit as MIDI controllers for the Cycles. They both work for playing notes but the Monologue only sends notes chromatically- scales do not change. Whereas the Circuit’s scales work. (perhaps this question is less to do with Cycles and more to do with Monologue’s MIDI, but I’ll ask anyway)

3. How many Projects do you guys have on your machine? I mean, is it common to create more than one? How many projects can be on one Cycles?

4. Power supply. What are you guys using while you wait for the battery handle? Is there a specific portable USB unit you’d recommend?

5. Preset editing. How deep is this? Is this all done on the machine where we manipulate the factory presets (or buy soundpacks), or is there software to use to edit the presets indepth ourselves?

6. Delay problems. How do you turn this off quickly if the feedback is blaring off into a distorted hellscape? I unknowingly shut off the Cycles while delay was turned up on a pattern (not even sure if that’s what it was) and the delay just kept oscillating into digital distorted madness. Pressing stop once, twice, three times did nothing. Changing patterns did nothing. Muting tracks did nothing. The only thing that made the delay stop was turning the whole thing off. Now, to avoid that issue, until I figure out the solution here, I just avoid loading that pattern again… because I fear it.

That’s all for now. Hopefully these questions made sense. Consulting the manual can only do so much. And if the manual did cover anything I’ve asked, I probably just didn’t understand it. Hey, it happens. I’m enjoying Model: Cycles very much thus far. It sounds great!

2 Likes

1: Messed up Presets.
I’ve noticed that too sometimes, but I’m not entirely sure what caused it. Once I came back to a pattern I was working on a day before, but the presets sure sounded very different from how I remember saving it. I practice a little under the influence on the weekends sometimes so I figured that was my problem. :sweat_smile: Ultimately in trying to rework it I came up with a pattern I liked even better in the end.

2: MIDI and scales.
I’ve tried using my Minilogue to play the Cycles and after some fiddling it seemed to work as expected. Granted, playing keys in scale is up to the player there. I didn’t know the Monologue can do scales! When I had an Electribe I could use its pads to control the Minilogue in a scale, so maybe it is just a hardware difference.

3: Projects.
I started a new project in the fourth slot accidentally while feeling my way around the machine. Since then I’ve stuck with it since I made a handful of presets I’m proud of. So, I guess a total of 3 and somewhat unorganized for me.

4: Power supply.
I’m thinking of getting a USB/DC barrel adaptor so I can use it in my car during lunch. Seen some other posts where people have used them with USB power banks successfully.

5: Preset editing.
Not sure if there’s an open software way to edit presets, but I know you can download packs on Elektron’s site. You even get a free pack for registering your Cycles! Others look like they all come at a price. Some sound really good, but aren’t any sounds from a pack theoretically possible to make ourselves on the hardware?

6: Delay problems.
Double tap the STOP button quickly! Dead silent.
Or alternatively turn down the feedback to get it calmed down gently.

I know I can’t answer everything as I’m still learning too, but I hope some of this helps!

4 Likes

Thank you for the thorough response!
I’m really hoping someone can answer the first question about the messed up presets, because right now it feels like it’s a huge problem. It’s not your problem! Keep the party going haha.
I hope this is just some silly thing I overlooked rather than a massive technical glitch where none of our tracks retain those precise values that we programmed. That’s the whole point of having presets or any kind of save feature. It sucks turning the Cycles on hours after finishing a pattern and now it’s just totally different assbackwards nonsense.

As for the soundpacks, I have yet to put any on my machine. I was under the impression that there was in-depth software that the soundpack creators were using, and we had access to that same machine-altering software.

Delay problems, I’ll try that! I must not have been hitting stop fast enough. Or maybe I was adjusting the delay time rather than the feedback…
Again, thank you. That definitely helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on!
Yeah, same. The sometimes jacked up preset issue could be a real pain, but it hasn’t happened consistently for me. I hope it was just my mistake and not a problem with the MC. If it is, hopefully it won’t take long to be addressed.

As for software I finally used Transfer to get the free pack. I also need to dig into it and organize my own presets that I saved outside of folders and such.
Editing wise, I’ll bet the developers have all kinds of access, but no idea if that will ever be public.
… AND BUDDY AS I WAS TYPING THIS RESPONSE I FOUND THIS

Remember to hold function and then adjust your delay knob to control the feedback!

2 Likes

Assuming you’re saving your patterns and projects correctly, this sounds like a bug.
Are you temp saving your patterns regularly and do you save the project before powering down?
Is the behaviour common between projects? Start a new project from scratch, see if it still does it.

If none of this is any help, contact elektron directly by opening a support ticket on their website, they’re usually very good at dealing with this sort of thing.

4 Likes

Yep, always saving & temp saving. I’m thinking it’s either a bug, or it’s set up so saving a pattern affects the same preset in other patterns that were saved before it. which would be a bug also.
I’ll start a new project since I haven’t done that yet. See what happens after I save some patterns.

I can’t speak to the preset bug as I haven’t experienced that at all but I have been using mine with a battery. The one I got is 6700 mah, and it probably lasts 5+ hours. I made a short adapter cable for usb to the barrel connector so I don’t have a long cable dangling.

I got some 3m dual lock fastener and have it stuck to the space above the screen. Not quite as elegant as the internal battery mod for the digitakt, but the battery does last longer. I love being able to just bring it with me anywhere and make music. Also the power adapter cord is rather short, which makes the battery even better.

2 Likes

In regards to my first question/presets changing, here’s the manual:

2 Likes

I have around 40 projects on my Model:Cycles. There are a maximum of 96 projects.

I must admit, I haven’t used any of the presets, nor have I saved any yet. I just start each project with the defaults and dial in my preferred sounds from scratch, then save the project before I power off.

I don’t own a Monologue but I suspect that its scales are internal only and not transmitted via the MIDI out.

4 Likes

Very interesting. I’m gonna try starting a whole new project with just the defaults.
So we can have 96 projects, and each project can contain 96 patterns? Being able to save 9,216 patterns on this device sounds pretty good to me!

Welcome @ja!

A pattern has two states: current state, and saved state.
This can explain differences between what you hear at a time, and what you hear later if the project is reloaded.
“Presets” (called “Kits” on other Elektron machines) are bound to a Pattern, so you don’t modify the sounds bound to Pattern A1 when you tweak Pattern A2, even if one is the copy of the other (which I do all the time).

By the way, unlike other Elektron machine, the Model series doesn’t keep the current state in memory (nor the new saved state btw) if you don’t power it off gently, with the power button.
If you unplug the PSU while it’s on, it will reboot with the state of the last time you switched it off slowly! Be careful with brutal PSU unplugging (or power strip switching off in my case): you’ll loose some work!

As a side note, I regularly use the standard 12V Elektron PSU-3b in the left side female plug dedicated for the battery handle. This hole can be used with an external battery, with the same adapter that is used for other Elektron machines.

I use Projects until they are full.
I try to use one with my “best patterns”, the one I really want to keep.
But it usually ends in a mess, as when I’m jamming I am not in an organized mode :wink:

When it comes to preset editing, M:C must be one of the most straightforward Elektron machines!!
Everything is on the front panel, except a few things like menu for retrig and LFO.
So IMO there is absolutely no need for a software!

When you have a problem with the Delay feedback, just turn down the feedback with Fn+Delay Time encoder. It will solve your problem the best way, and you’ll even be able to play with it.
Feedback is stable around 100. Above, it will amplify.
Double-stop to cut it brutally (e.g. if you’re hurting your ears).

Little trick: even if it’s dirty, I love to use the delay feedback as a 7th track. Time to 128 align on the 16 steps, put feedback to 100 and tweak Time to get interesting motions.

3 Likes

Your post is Action Packed with information. I think I understand this a lot more now. Thank you!
Another random question… In terms of file management, how do I save a preset into a specific folder? I keep trying to save a preset into a folder I created but it keeps saving it in the main directory, with the other main folders. I just want it to be saved Inside the folder, not next to it haha. I know it’s gotta be something super simple that I’ve overlooked.

1 Like

I am not aware of folders, I don’t think it’s a thing.
Are you creating folders within the M:C or with the Transfer tool?

At first I used Transfer to import a soundpack. They are now in their own folder accessed in the Preset Menu. I see the soundpack folder right after the Factory folder. It’s a thing to create folders. I’m just trying to save my own presets into the folder I just created so my workflow is organized.

Oh, sorry I had read that you wanted to put project into specific folders ^^

Within the Transfer tool, it should be OK to put Presets into folders. Check the destination folder in the upper right (I think it’s there, haven’t used it in a while).

1 Like

I’ll try that! Thank you :slight_smile:

Edit: Just tried using Transfer for drag & drop. File management is now a breeze OH YEAH BABY

Nope. I was sent a completely empty machine, with no extra software or anything. Just a quickstart guide :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, there we have it. The maestro has spoken! No software needed because this knob-per-function interface is all we need. I think I just assumed there was some “extra special way” people were creating these awesome soundpacks. Turns out it’s just because the creators are damn good at what they do.
Your work is amazing, and your videos are a leading cause to me buying Model:Cycles. Thanks for all the helpful content m8

1 Like

That’s really cool! I’ll be trying this today. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

This fixed it! I was genuinely frightened. I would hit a pad, the feedback would max out, and it sounded like a demon screaming at me. It wouldn’t go away until I pulled the plug haha.
Thank you for teaching me how to perform the elektron exorcism.

1 Like