Learn to solder and build your own synth

Humble bundle has a great little ebook package available. It’s a collection of stuff that could be used for learning basic electronics. Even has an ebook that focuses specifically on building a synth. I picked a package similar to this one a few years ago, and for $18 was a great investment of learning resources. I know some of you have been walking that fine line. Maybe this is what pushes you over.

15 Likes

And RIP to Ray Wilson (MFOS) who wrote the synth book and passed in 2016

And the hard copy of the book is available on Amazon

6 Likes

Amazing, thanks for sharing! Just what i needed, picked it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have that book and was a little disappointed in it. It’s been some time since I read it but I think it was more of a broad overview of the subject rather than a detailed description of how to build an oscillator etc. It was an interesting read nevertheless.

From the amazon comments:

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 August 2016

I made a synth out of my fridge and my wife left me

:joy:

10 Likes

I would so love to get into DIY but I can’t manage, no time if I want to make some noise from time to time. Maybe later!

1 Like

When I left school I was going to do A level in computers as I was sure i had passed it in GCSE however when the results came back I got a D so had to pick another subject in the same column, the only thing that looked remotely interesting was A level electronics. Anyway I wasted the next 2 years hadn’t got a clue as the teacher kept going on about NOR gates etc and equations and I came out with an X unclassified :joy: as it happens I later got a letter from the examination board saying there had been a computer error and I got B in GCSE computers not D :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I struggled to read about electronics much - a lot of the theory can seem really dry to me - but I recently found Moritz Klein’s videos on building a voltage controlled oscillator; they’re extremely engaging and interesting. Highly recommend them!

3 Likes