Lean&mean acid setup

Hi there, a long time ago I enjoyed rubberduck and propellerheads rebirth, before moving to hardware.

I’m now eyeing a combo of behringer clones: rd6 (tr606) and td3 (tb303) that cost 200 euros together. Insane value.

But I need to mix their sound and probably want some delay and overdrive too, plus maybe some sample/tr808/909 sounds as well for a nice little compact acid setup.

Also alway liked the sh101 style step sequencer.

What advice can you give me for a compact, effective acid setup to just noodle around on in my spare free time?

I was thinking in the direction of a small mixer with delay/overdrive fx, or a small mixer with a seperate knobby tape delay pedal/unit. Plus a sequencer with sh101 style step sequencer for bass lines/samples.

Any suggestions? I like the classic hardfloor style acid, and dubby techno Maurizio style.

Tnx!

well, what comes to my mind first is MC-707.
it certainly can be a 101-style sequencer, a sample-based drum machine, and an effect processor / mixer for external synths.
i use mine quite a lot with two MAM-MB-33 Retro units for acid techno / acid trance.

not the most compact machine out there (for my taste), but does the job very well.

2 Likes

Roland T8 has drummachine, 303 with delay, reverb and distortion all in one cheap box, that sounds pretty punchy
Add the cheap keystep and you have your sh101 sequencer

7 Likes

+1 for T-8 great value and sounds much better than the Behringer IMHO, it has more bass with high resonance and 2 or 3 octaves more note range, the drum side is ok too, and the overdrive is usable and not weedy.

4 Likes

Tnx peeps. Tbh I’m looking for a setup based around the 606 and 303 clones, for that oldskool hands-on vibe.

Bastl Bestie - Portable Stereo Mixer and dirty feedback loop will get you a mixer and crazy distortion.
(Cheaper than BÉBÉ CHÉRIE – Oto Machines)

3 Likes

looks cool, tnx!

That little Bastl mixer plus a delay pedal is probably all you need, alongside the 606 and a 303 (or two, the MO version is pretty sweet)

the cheapest would obviously be Behringer RD-6 and TD-3. for a more faithful 303 sound (TD-3 is aight but not quite the full acid box range, to my ears) maybe a TT-303 or RE-303/XoXBox if you’re feeling more spendy – Cyclone Bass-Bot also has more modern sequencing options so you’re not stuck with the awful original TB workflow