Layering Swishy Sounds With AR

Hi Rytmic Elektronauts,

I want to layer long backwards cymbal type sounds, the odd distant crash and swelly swishies to my AR mk2 beats. If I load up the AR with these long samples and use up a channel, the samples don’t seem to want to play polyphonically (?-layered on top of each other without getting cut off). I wonder if there’s a way to allow simultaneous layering of long and different samples on one channel.

I’ve already started jamming with a work around – an ableton kit loaded up with swishies triggered by a little akai mpk mini, sent into the “ext in” on the AR from my audio interface. This requires more gear and doesn’t feel the most efficient, although it’s fun to play drums with two pieces of gear. Any recommendations for leaning out this setup? Any recommendations for specialized and playable / sculptable white noise generators so I can cut out the laptop?

1 Like

Its not possible to layer multiple sounds on one track. You could change the sound lock parameter of course, but it will cut of the other sample played before.
For staying inside the AR: do a backing track with that swishys and swoooshs, and put it on a track, then blend it in with LFO automation or with performance pads, if you dont want to play it all the time. Uses also a lot of sample length /memory.

Alterantive: use some shorter noise samples, and plock them, then send this track to an external FX unit, which is then feed again into the RYTM input. You could stay on the machine, play with reverb FX live, maybe an Eventide H9 is ok.

1 Like

Thanks @Sternenlicht!

A white noise channel that swooshes in with perf pad controls and LFOs is a nice idea.

Lately I’ve been renting different reverb pedals for a month each to get a feel for their flavours. Will look into the H9! Recently fell in love with the Strymon Big Sky…