Launch control XL thru OT into Ipad

Alright guys, probably an easy answer for most. I’ve just bought a launch control XL to control iPad IOS apps. I’m using sending midi clock from OT to iPad via camera connection kit, so the USB port on Ipad is already in use. I have the Kenton USB/midi host, so I’m look to connect the LCXL to the midi in of OT, and thru to iPad.

Can anyone advise on the best way to set this up?

Alternatively if anyone can recommend a USB hub for iPad, so I don’t need to go thru OT I’d appreciate it.

Many thanks

Nick

If you just plug the iPad into the OT midi thru, it’ll be as if your LCXL was connect directly to the iPad. Alternatively you can plug the iPad into the OT out and control it via one of the OT’s midi channels, which gets you midi LFOs and cc plocks. Not sure how the LCXL would function in this scenario though, have never tried.

1 Like

Thanks mate. If I go down the route of midi thru will I be able to send note data from OT to IPad for sequencing apps from midi tracks?

Nope. If you are talking about Ot’s Thru it sends what’s coming in midi In only.
You can use midi Out and use Auto Channel with midi tracks to send what’s coming in.

Never used camera kit for midi. Isn’t it USB ?
Where would you place the Kenton ? Between LCXL and OT ?

camera kit lets you plug any usb device into the ipad, so in this case a usb midi interface.

yeah the host lets the lcxl talk to the ot, as lcxl only has a usb port, no midi.

1 Like

So how do you connect Ot’s midi din to iPad ?

I think it’s implied that there is a USB-midi interface between the OT and the ipad, connected via the camera connection kit. so it’s OT midi > midi to usb > usb to lightning (cck) > ipad

1 Like

I have a focusrite I track dock which has a class compliant USB slot for midi in/out. I’d use a midi - USB lead for OT to iPad dock.

For the LCXL to OT I’d use my Kenton hub yes

So it should work with Ot’s Out…

Yeah but to be honest mate I could do without the extra setup.

I think I may get one of the Nano Kontrol studios, which are Bluetooth and built for IOS. That would be a cleaner solution. Just leave have the OT as master midi clock

1 Like