Latency with Overbridge 2.0 Beta

I currently use the A4 MK1 and the AR MK1 in my Ableton Live setup. Using the older version of Overbridge I was able to monitor and record the main outputs of the hardware using a standalone Mackie mixer. The mixer lets you send the signal to the aux out with the mute buttons so the main inputs for my interface are connected to that and this lets me track the individual channels on the mixer while still monitoring everything else in real time and it worked fairly well in Overbridge 1.0.

Since upgrading to the 2.0 Beta there is a lot more latency in the system and my A4 and AR dont run in sync with Ableton anymore unless Overbridge mode is disabled, both when monitoring or recording. I read something somehwere that the new Overbridge delays the output of your system to keep the USB audio in sync with Abletons clock which could potentially be causing the issue.

So I thought I would try just using USB audio in Overbridge but it’s very unusable for me. Constantly dropping out and causing crashes. My setup is pretty solid I have both an iMac and Macbook Pro which have decent specs and I use an Apogee Duet as the soundcard. I can’t think of anything that is causing the bandwidth issues and dropouts. I’m only streaming the main outs from both devices and using the highest buffer setting but still no joy. Performance using USB audio was also poor in Overbridge 1.0 as well which was kinda why I just hooked the hardware outputs to a mixer in the first place.

You think you guys could give me a few tips to try and get things all in sync again? Or figure out why USB audio performance is so poor?

I’ll list my setup below to try and help give a better picture.

A4 MK1 & AR MK1
Apogee Duet 2
Mackie 1202-VLZ4

5k iMac 27” 2017
3.2 Quad Core i5
8gb Ram (upgrading to 24gb very soon)
512gb SSD

Macbook Pro 15” Retina 2012
2.6 Quad Core i7
16gb Ram
256gb SSD

One thing I noticed while setting up Overbridge 2 was that disabling all outputs over USB audio causes the Overbridge Engine to loose connection to my devices. Maybe you could implement a feature to disable all USB audio and remove the delay Overbridge crates on the master output in Ableton? All I really want from Overbridge is to better control the hardware anyway. I much prefer recording and monitoring the hardware outputs to USB audio.

1 Like