Last night a Decksaver saved my life

Maybe if I ditch the keyboard hutch…

1 Like

I knew they got the words wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yey, you got my reference! :slight_smile:

(Also a book about the history of DJing)

I keep the wine, if I’m having any (I tend to neglect it while working with instruments and it gets too warm) on a lower level, the floor or a separate low table. I once knocked a glass of wine onto an open MacBook and rendered it unusable. It was due for replacement from professional funds, and I managed to salvage the SSD so the transfer was seamless.

A related rule: when using ultra-sharp Japanese knives, I make sure they are washed, dried, and put away before I open the wine.

4 Likes

Double walled glasses are nice. As you can see, ROB is judging me for letting the burbon escape from the tea boat.

1 Like

Ouf. Once had a friend spill about half a can of beer into the top vent of my fairly high end Yamaha hi fi amp. I just let it dry out for like a week or so and it magically just worked again and never had an issues until recently, which almost certainly couldn’t be from a spilt beer from 20 years ago?

1 Like

Sounds like an upside down decksaver to me…

6 Likes

One rule I adopted from my first hackerspace is to never, ever have open containers containing liquids on the same desk as any electronics or even the surfaces above.
One upside of that rule was that said hackerspace would order all their beverages in 0.5L screw-cap bottles, no 0.33L ones :ok_hand:

4 Likes

By coincidence I found this book in a giveaway box on the sidewalk on my block just now. Picked it up as I always intended to read it…

3 Likes

Good save!

I always use decksavers cos I have black elektrons, and they are a magnet for dust, dirt, hair, any kind of Cheam really. It is so much easier/quicker to dust a decksaver than a many knobbed machine.

(The Meaning of Liff: The Original Dictionary Of Things There Should Be Words For - Douglas Adams, John Lloyd - Google Books)

3 Likes

Well, if synths could drink. Having to send my OT away for servicing made me decide to invest in one. Learning to play it with telekinesis is mentally a bit draining but if it keeps the dust off of it, it’s worth it. Slows down my production, but what can you do?

9 Likes

while my decksaver collection is in progress, i have dense fabric over everything else.
obviously worse than decksaver, but saves from accidental spills pretty well.
not even to mention dust.

1 Like

I used to think that decksavers were a waste of money until I came home from work one day and found the rubber knobs of my digitakt all over the floor covered in bite marks from my cat. Sometimes you need to realize these things through experience.

8 Likes
1 Like

I do all my Digitakting on a giant fuck-off pillow cushion thing while sitting in bed. And I’ve trained my cat, who loves said pillow, to share the space and not walk over my boxes. So now he’s always curled up next to it when I’m making some noise.

2 Likes

A cape?

2 Likes

Yep I’m a pretty calm, chill dude, and not the type to be too picky about how my studio guests conduct themselves. But put a drink near my gear and I will definitely be having a curt word with you.

3 Likes

I am a fat old man, but my capes aren’t that big!

2 Likes

What a horrible decksaver to try and store when not in use :joy:

2 Likes

Some nice foldable wooden doors should do it, window shutter style.

2 Likes