Lack of Individual Outputs or Overbridge on OT

Probably because on initial design it’s not what they intended the box to be. A lot of people expect them to just slap overbridge on it as if it wouldn’t require a full redesign of the box in both hardware and software. The OT is what it is and I’ll bet the next thing does have overbridge, until then there are still endless ways to make a track with the tools provided.

The USB is hardwired to the card reader. OB is technically impossible on the OT.

No doubts in the work u can do with the tools provided but in my mind, in a machine like OT and with the price involved, it is a big big gap in these days! I love OT, its one of my fav machines of Elektron but is a big con that makes u think twice!
Its my opinion.

So I just bought an octatrack mki, hasn’t arrived yet.

If I want to eventually bounce my arrangements to daw, as the mix engineer needs the stems for real releases and to mix with the vocals. Can’t I just use something like an ERM Multiclock to slave the OT to Live and then record each track two at a time in stereo pairs in 4 passes? With the ERM the clock should be rock solid, and all the audio files would sync up.

Am I missing something? Seems to be a lot of confusion over what seems to be a simple process.

Yes.

nope, thats all there is to it. people just dont have the patience. honestly I rarely even use all 8 tracks how I currently use it

Seems time consuming, but after all the time spent making a beat, what is another 20 minutes to track everything out? Thanks to both of you, seems to be much ado about nothing, for myself at least.

2 Likes

Hey man - are u saying you can perform the OT and have it save the tracks individually to the CF card?

2 Likes

It really depends on how you’re using the OT. When I got mine I’d been working with an MPC for years and the lack of outputs after being used to having 10 on the MPC was the one thing that really worried me (and made be not get one for a couple years).

Turns out that for most of the stuff I ended up doing with it, multitacking out wasn’t really necessary and once I started to really get deeper into the OT workflow it didn’t even make sense to think of the dracks as separate things because they were all interacting anyway.

If you’re using it for a conventional, sample-based production style like you’d do on an MPC or SP or something similar then you could definitely track it out like you described, but the more you get in to the features that really make it unique the less useful that becomes. You can do pretty well just recording everything straight from the stereo output, too.

3 Likes

Omfg that record.

I have this vague recollection I read somewhere that to master that they split the frequencies of the 2chan into discreet tracks. But I could be conflating memories.

Multiband compression maybe. As far as mix, though, the beats were was straight out of the stereo outs of an MPC2000 unless I’m misremembering.

EDIT: sounds like that’s not totally true actually, some of them were done on an SP-303 and recorded onto cassette.

Wasnt it an Sp303?

Either way 2chan only to the masterer.

Yeah, apparently it was 303. I’ve always liked the album a lot and when I first got an MPC2000xl I kept hearing it mentioned as an example of stuff produced entirely in the MPC but then most of that was probably ancient posts on MPCForum and that place isn’t exactly the definitive source for truth.

Yes. With 8 tracks, it’s limited to 1mn recordings, 16 bits, empty RAM.

1 Like

No, there exists no “recording to CF card” feature. @sezare56 refers to recording into recorder buffer(s) which uses RAM (thus the limited recording time). Afterwards you can store the content of the buffer(s) to the CF card manually.

2 Likes

Right…I see, cheers people!

These days i record my ‘songs’ on recording buffer 8, recording main output. Easy, fast, no extra gear needed and gives me a length restriction wich keeps things more focused. If you need more (length, tracks) you can record more takes and tracks and mix them later in DAW or whatever.

3 Likes

I was using recording buffer 8 too, but as you can’t preview it if you use T8 as Master Fx, now I use T4 instead.

1 Like

You can preview R8 with FUNC + REC A/B, then FUNC BANK, but it is definitely more keystrokes.