Korg Wavestate

To add to the stack of videos this one from Perfect Circuit:

16 minutes of sounds and big hands

3 Likes

Ah, missed it because I did a search but the person who posted it didn’t use his name.

Love the “Contemporary Composer” preset btw

I thought it was a weird choice too… luckily it seems that the list of included samples is pretty gigantic and they sound amazing. I was especially pumped to see the DWGS waves included!!!

1 Like

It’s definitely an amazing bit of kit. I just want the option of making it mine.

1 Like

Yes, agreed. It was a long punt. I have no idea how USB audio is implemented, is the thing.

Korg is kinda known for morphing their products through various forms.
Look at the Minilogue => Prologue => Minilogue XD => Minilogue XD Module => NuTekt NTS-1 transmogrification. (The arrows do it no justice. I think i got the order close anyway.)

Or the Odysseys or the MS-20s have changes. I know i’m missing other examples for them.

So predicting what’s next from Korg – well they don’t even know yet what’s next. That’s good engineering process, lay down a general plan, and then adapt as you go with the changing terrain. I think it’s safe to say that Korg will make good use of their intellectual assets, so expect new stuff down the line.

1 Like

I tried to find any evidence of the original Wavestation line allowing loading of user samples, but was unable to do so. Wavestations were made at a time that none of the rompler makers allowed user samples. Emu later on provided an option via custom ROM for the Proteus/Command Station lines - you had to of course get the hardware to burn your samples into the ROM.

Not defending the lack of user sample support in the Wavestate btw.

I’ve put off buying iWavestation for iOS but will watch for the next of Korg’s frequent app sales, just to get a better idea of what Wavestate might offer me.

1 Like

You had the Wavestation A/D though with the ability to use any sound source you liked in the synth engine, so that counts in my opinion even if it’s somewhat different than user-loaded samples.

I expect they’ll sell a ton of these and it’ll lead somewhere. With the first, ahem, wave, they did 3 iterations was it? The regular Wavestation, the SR and the A/D. It stands to reason that we’ll see something more. I’d love to see user samples, audio ins, 4 or 5 pairs of outs, audio over USB and… ‘Workflow improvements’. I love workflow improvements. Can’t get enough of 'em :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was also the EX keyboard version which came after the original, so four versions in total. These days I definitely expect less rapid iteration though, it would be cool to see a larger keybed version with more panel controls but hopefully not a totally new version in a year or two.

Yeah, that was the only thing I could recall that allowed any external sound, but as you acknowledged, no user sample loading

For all my ‘but you didn’t add…’ requests, I’m very happy to see this one. It’s a ray of sunshine. Hats off to them.

Take this engine and throw it in a new Electribe please.

7 Likes

I think there were PCM data cards to add extra waveforms, if I remember correctly. I even think it was possible to prepare samples in this format but there my memory grows foggy.

There’s just too much going on here for an old timer like m’self. I’m hoping the SV-2 rumour is true. That’s where I’m at :man_white_haired:

1 Like

Is this a Rompler? Can the Octatrack do these kind of tricks with samples?

1 Like

I just found one advertised for $999! Not bad.

1 Like

Kind of, although the wave sequencing is not found on typical romplers.

Not fully. The Wavestate allows each waveform to be cross-faded into the next.

3 Likes

I foresee a rebirth of the Windham Hill Sampler Records series

3 Likes

Second “rompler” in recent days (MC707/101), it’s certainly a weird time for gear enthusiast :astonished:

1 Like