Korg SV-2

Made this thread for you @circuitghost

Demo that the older gents at Keyboard Corner dislike - but i dig it. Can’t draw younger buyers with the same ol’ lounge piano stuff.

Sonic State first look

5 Likes

@GovernorSilver :revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts:

The speaker version looks awesome !

Also, Luke and Jack makes the best pair they always seem to have so much fun :

1 Like

Dear lord, how great it sounds. These are confusing times for me. A mint Mono Evolver in my sight, centuries old - and this one right here.

What a weird Namm this is becoming.

2 Likes

This looks and sounds really beautiful.

1 Like

This has a gimmick side to it, but also is a very nice touch. Note they went with a real tube-tube, not a NuTube despite the fact that NuTube is a Korg owned product.

Notice that the display has screws too, hopefully the tube can be replaced without having to open the case. Tubes, even modern ones, have a MTBF that means you play this thing for a while, and haul it around, you’ll be replacing the tube. (Think of filament light bulbs.)

2 Likes

I had the sv-1, same setup, you can’t replace the tube from the front- you need to disassemble the whole unit unfortunately. To me it’s questionable how much the tube actually does

1 Like

Wonder how much it’ll cost. It sure sounds gorgeous. When that dude played Babylon Sisters with the phaser WOWZA

1 Like

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SV2-88--korg-sv-2-88-key-stage-vintage-piano?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3344196740&product_id=SV2-88&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20PreOrder%20-%20Keyboards%20%26%20Synthesizers&adgroup=Keyboards%20%26%20Synthesizers%20-%20Pianos&placement=google&creative=360738227912&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpe_EEDzNhxxUQKyRlKwo4KDHt2RAKHfwwNUKBDFbFs9vqhITL6YsRBoCOyQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That’s $2000 US – which seems reasonable if the keybed is excellent – and the new ton-of sounds that got added are well done and expressive.

Interesting on the last Sonic Talk #603 both Ty Unwin and Rich Hilton dissed the SV-1, but both said they’d be interested in trying the SV-2.

1 Like

I’d probably be down for something like this- the version with speakers is only 200 more.

I used to have an old Clavinova I used to keep in my kitchen in my early twenties, it was so much fun to jam on that every so often.

It would definitely be nice to have a nice keyboard separate from the rest of my studio equipment to just jam on. If I make something I like I can either record the midi/audio into my phone and transfer it to Ableton later.

Not that I’m in any position to buy more music gear. But this is definitely on my “it would be nice to have if I have money to spend.”

Don’t need gear, but if I buy more gear- this would probably be the next thing(please don’t release something Elektron :smiley:)

Definitely a good way to be cooking with a keyboard!

1 Like

We’re family shopping for a piano now, living room style. I’m talking the missus into the idea that our home’s gonna benefit from an SV-2 before a more traditional Yamaha, go well with the interiors and so forth.

She’s not saying no. Yet, at least😊

Considering that she’s letting my craziness with them synths and stuff continue and be cool with it, I feel obliged to return the generosity and pay attention to what she wants in this regard.

3 Likes

When people say “a watched pot never boils” I took that VERY seriously

1 Like

This is a real centre piece in a studio or living room. Id go for the 73 keys but again the 88 keys is only a bit more. Stunning sound and great inbuilt speakers.

I wonder if the engine is different from the Korg Grandstage. It seems the biggest difference would be hardware design philosophy as the SV2S is more aesthetic-oriented and minimalistic.

Has anyone bought this? What do you think?

I’ve had the Korg SV-1 for a long time. Very nice. Sounds good and the keys are super nice if you want something to play with weighted keys.

Actually, even though weighted keys are best, they give me repetitive stress injury, so I have to limit playing time and playing style. On the other hand, I could really use an 88, and all the quality ones are weighted. Plus, I could really use one with this quality of speaker system, so the SV-2 seems to be the one. I have a Nord Electro 5D (61), and I like its waterfall keyboard, but an 88 with speakers is what I really need for one of my locations.

Anyone using one of these and willing to share some feedback? I tried SV2 on local musicstore and it was love at first sight. Now i am thinking switching my Nord Stage 3 to this one.