Korg Prologue SDK Nerd Patrol

Much more details in a shorter video:

3 Likes

Here’s the SDK!

2 Likes

So I see there are now a few custom oscillators and fx available now for the Prologue. Anybody picked any of these up?

https://edouard.digital/product/blinds-for-prologue/

I gotta say… I love the sound of this synth. It seems to me that you can get some really rich and complex tones by layering in the third oscillator. As much as I love programming, sometimes you just wanna dial something in fast. I like the simplicity of the Prologue. Seems such a quick workflow and an amazingly rewarding sound to my ears!

1 Like

Exactly how I felt after playing with one at Synthfest. Took the edge off Moog One desire. It’ll take a while but hopefully a Prologue will be my next synth purchase.

1 Like

I’m very close to caving into temptation on a 16 voice… !!

2 Likes

Do it!

1 Like

I probably will. I’ve never been any good at resisting temptation!! I’ll report back.

2 Likes

Just gonna quote this for emphasis because I’ve also been deeply confused about the purpose and nature of the dev kit.

1 Like

On MW, there’s a guy complaining about persistent issues with the intonation of the lower notes ( E, F, F# ) of the keyboard, after 3 OS updates and so on.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194885&start=100&postdays=&postorder=&highlight=

The Gearslutz thread also mentions the issue.

I’ve been following a lot of the threads regarding this issue. This video make me chuckle.

I certainly won’t buy until it gets sorted.

1 Like

I sympathize with the guy in the video - but it does remind me of “angry guitarist” videos in an amusing way.

I’m impressed with the amount of development that has gone into custom oscillators for a synth that has only been on the market for such a short time. I like what little I’ve heard so far of the demos. This could be the sleeper polysynth for Korg if they straighten out that tuning problem.

Oops just accidentally pressed the buy button. I’ll share thoughts on it, and the tuning issue, soon!!

5 Likes

Korg are aware of the tuning issues with the F keys, they’re working on a firmware that should fix it. Korg Luke and Korg UK had “been assured that it will be fixed”. So I’m not worried about that (besides, it’s not THAT bad once it’s been for 20 min or so, at least not on my unit, it’s there but I can do chords without the thing falling apart).

1 Like

Just checking in with my thoughts on the Prologue now I’ve had it for a couple of weeks.,

I totally love it! I did have some tuning issues when I first got it but upgrading to the latest firmware seemed to fix it. It’s really a very engaging synth. There’s something about it’s sound that draws me in and just makes me want to play it.

Working within its limitations makes it a fast and very connected workflow. It’s simple in architecture but incredibly rich in sound. 16 VCO’s is a wonderful thing! Using the mod wheel and expression pedal, along with the (very limited) on board modulation gives you plenty of movement in your patches.

The multi engine is probably my favourite part. It’s a bit menu divey but
there is a decent amount of programmability once you dig in. The range of possible tones is immense. A special shout out to Eduardo Digital for the awesome Blinds oscillator… I really dig it that one.

I like the filter although it’s not in the same league as, say, the OB-6 filter.
I’ve been running it through my Analog Heat for some extra filter options and drive and, I have to say, it sounds incredible.

All in all, I’m very taken with this synth. It’s beautiful in looks, and extremely well made. It’s very limited in some ways but somehow those limitations work for it rather than against it. On paper you think meh… get your hands on one and then that meh turns to wow! It feels like an instrument rather than a machine.

It excels at beautiful, rich leads but can basically give you any sound you want, with the exception of complex hyper-modulated soundscapes.

It’s been a long time since I clicked like this with a synth. It’s a keeper for sure.

5 Likes

Was noticing on reverb.com that used Prologues are now readily available – as low as $1000 for the 8 and $1500 for the 16. So a used 16 is the same price as a new 8.

That said there is a lot to be said for buying new, i very seldom buy used myself. But for SDK development i would be tempted.

Looks like the Minilogue xd is the way to go if you are thinking of writing stuff for these machines.

From the Minilogue xd thread.

2 Likes

Has anybody successfully gotten the demos to build? I cloned the sdk from github and initialized the submodules, and I ran logue-sdk/tools/gcc/get_gcc_osx.sh, but when I run make from the waves directory, I get a build error:

> make
Compiling _unit.c
In file included from ../../inc/utils/fixed_math.h:47:0,
                 from ../../inc/osc_api.h:46,
                 from ./inc/userosc.h:47,
                 from ./tpl/_unit.c:42:
../../inc/utils/cortexm4.h:45:31: fatal error: arm_math.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [build/obj/_unit.o] Error 1

I would think that when I run the gcc install script it would include this header, but it doesn’t appear on my file system. Any thoughts?

I figured it out. The repositories use submodules in addition to scripts for installing dependencies. You can read this ticket here.

5 Likes

@blackprism sorry, I am late to answer… you can have a look at my upcoming tutorial

2 Likes

Thanks, @gekart! Can’t wait to watch the rest of the tutorial series. There’s a lot of sonic engineering in the SDK that I don’t understand yet and simply isn’t documented. Maybe once I get my head wrapped around the source code a little more I can open a PR against Korg’s repo with some docs.