Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

VPM is just phase modulation and is far from new for Korg or any other company.
Korg have been using it on all their digital synths going back to the Oasys development. Had it on my Z1 back in the day.
I think nearly every Korg digital synth made since has the VPM algorithm onboard.
Sounds very similiar to fm, and is actually what the DX7 uses, rather than true FM

1 Like

Nope just a few more days to go . No one will be disappointed. It will be something as good if not better than Prologue its a synth, and will be priced between USD$1399 -$1999 somewhere in that range.

1 Like

Moog Multipy

Just a guess, I live in Asheville and you hear all kinds of things in the wind around these mountains… :man_farmer:

2 Likes

Cool so this one has some modulation sources? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There will always be someone disappointed - that’s just the nature of internet forums.

“Better than Prologue” for me:

1. Aftertouch on the keyboard
  2. A module option, with with MPE support
  3. Full support of MIDI Tuning Standard
  4. Arpeggiator is user-programmable, with more than one user slot

“Better” will probably be something different for someone else, like choice of housing color/artwork or something.

1 Like

Does it also have an opensource digital osc section and fx? Does it do CZ?

1 Like

Just noticed John Bowen is one of the preset designers. He’s got quite the resume, beyond his Solaris synth.

1 Like

Had a bit of an exchange w/ Tim Mantle, another preset designer. Tried picking his brain for some insider info, but this was all I got out of him:

"So, for RAM and other technical questions it’s better to talk to KORG in the coming weeks, I could otherwise get some information wrong and would rather avoid that.
The multi engine has three different modes. I personally designed presets using the Multi engines VPN and Noise. USR mode I left entirely for the interest of end users only.

There is a break down in the manual as to which presets are designed by which author."

Still, that was gracious of him to share that. He spoke quite highly of the Prologue, especially the multi-engine. He has also done work for DSI http://www.timmantle.com/about.html

4 Likes

Well, Tim’s presets don’t make use of the SDK, Dunno about Bowen’s or the others.

It could be that the SDK was not available even to Tim, John, and Co - that’ s the likeliest possibility. It’ll be interesting to see if “program your oscillator” just means you can upload a sample, or if you can do something more interesting. Then there’s the FX side…

2 Likes

Any talk of RAM does kinda hint that it can play back samples though…

Is there any in-depth info on the routings? So we can control both sound layers simultaneously… and route the digi section pre or post filter… and select which layer or both goes to the fx section, fx has an ”analogue bypass”… but can we route layers to be in series or parallel? cuz that would bring vast extra flexibility.

Already thinking about making stupid ”1-bit” lofi oscs to combine with an FM layer and some added analog sub oscs. Goddamn. Why can’t they say whether a rack/desktop unit is coming or not? I’ll lose quite a bit of coin if I have to go with the 16 / 5 oct model now and crossgrade to a desktop/ rack later…

Aww sh, went ahead and preordered. I will shut up about it now. If a ”Prologue killer” is introduced at NAMM, I’ll cancel my order. Back to my elektrons!

2 Likes

Ok I have to admit, I really like the sound.But: I don’t understand why in the synth world, memory is always so limited. Why only 16 user waveforms, always rare space for user created presets etc.

And what the hell was the reason to implement only one LFO?! Make a desktop version with 2 multimode Filter, 3-4 LFOs and another envelope generator, with loop function, delay and fade for the LFOs, then I will buy.

Here’s a long demo. Apparently the thing has a „stranger things“ preset, that’s a real game changer :wink:

2 Likes

Oh I thought they meant 16 different waveforms. But you’re right. They mean 16 different programs (created with the software. But I really not sure, what exactly they mean with programs in this context. I heard something about the first program is a preinstalled wavetable, if this is true it would be perfekt. It would imply that you will be able to create loops, use variables, and logical computing functions(like: if x > y then…). I guess the have some form of scripting language. If this will be the case, then I could live with just on LFO, because I could animate the sound with those programs!

Really exited what will be possible with the pc and the SDK!
Soundwise i am already impressed :slight_smile:
Edit: i just was on the official homepage. Yes it’s really awesome. There is a wavetable as demo in on of the slots! Will be interesting if the wavetable is a mathematical function in a loop, or if there is some space for real wavetables, like 128 slightly different waveforms. If that’s the case, the programs for this beauty can be really „complex“.

2 Likes

@Kari

Not watched the whole thing but that’s a nice Blade Runner cover in the beginning :slight_smile:

That Andertons bloke is fully baked in that video as well :smiley:

Lol @ “all the stoners out there” … :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely! I love blade runner, everything about it (not just the soundtrack). The demo inspired me to try to create the „stranger things“ soundtrack with my Virus ti2. It’s sooo easy, but was fun to do. Damn i can’t wait for the actual start of the NAMM. Hopefully there will be gear that wasn’t already „leaked „ :wink:

1 Like

I’m really wishing I didn’t watch that now cause I was totally sold by the BR cover :smiley:
That thing sounds lovely!

1 Like

We don’t know that it’s only 16 user waveforms.

All we know is there are 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effects slots.

Presumably 1 of the 16 oscillator slots is taken up by the factory “example” oscillator, which is the morphing wavetable one - and you know you can’t have a wavetable oscillator with just one wave…

1 Like

Yes it was a misunderstanding. I have addressed it in a later post in this thread. It’s 16 user programs for oscillator and 16 user programs for user created effects.

2 Likes

Korg recently don’t bring much rack… in the flagship synth territory