Korg OPSIX

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

How DARE you!

2 Likes

Why was the artificial voice suggesting we buy it coffee? What kind of robot is this?

6 Likes

Just got mine. Try going to the ā€œGlobalā€ settings menu, Then scroll down to SYS (with knob D), then scroll the middle menu to ā€œScreen Brightā€ with knob E, and set the brightness up or down with knob Fā€¦ mine came set at level 7, but yours might be lower? (Try cranking it up to 10). If no change, then the backlight is probably not working.

The photo I uploaded is at brightness 10, itā€™s borked, unfortunately.

Ah damn. Sorry!!! :frowning:

I meanā€¦ would the MicroKorg have been the classic that it is (and still in production 20 years onā€¦) had it sold for $800?

6 Likes

Received mine today. Does everyone hate the keybed THAT much? I see so much criticism. And while I donā€™t love the keys, I find it sufficient and not a negative that hinders my ability to love the Opsix.

Of course, Iā€™m used to the kiddo keys of the Keystep Pro.

But I have also had decent keyboards and an upright piano. Just wondering if the consensus is that itā€™s awful?

4 Likes

If the MicroKorg was priced at USD$400 when it was introduced in 2002, that would correspond to $612 in inflation adjusted 2022 dollars, according to this calculator.

The consensus seems to be that the keyboard is polarizing. Iā€™m with you - the keys are good enough. They arenā€™t as nice as a good Fatar keybed, but we arenā€™t paying Fatar prices either. Others seem to really hate cheap Korg keys (and cheap Arturia keys as well). This shouldnā€™t be too surprising since everyone is different and key preferences is just that.

2 Likes

itā€™s loud, creaky, hollow, springy and the $75 Alesis V midi controller I gave my neighbor had keys that were better dampened.

Considering this thing is a raspberry pi in a plastic case, it really is disappointing considering itā€™s launch price. The Minilogue is downright luxurious compared to it.

the mod/pitch wheels and screen are nice at least?

my challenge for anyone is to name a synth over $500 with a worse keybed. The JD-XI I guess? Thatā€™s honestly the only one I can think of.

3 Likes

While I donā€™t know the future for East Beast, I have nothing bad to say about it because of its price compared to features.

I think this follows the same thought process.

Iā€™ll be interested to see how this reportedly sub-par keybed stacks up to my Nord Leadā€™s (also reportedly) sub par keybed. I definitely notice a difference between the Nord and my Pro 2. But it doesnā€™t stop me from using it.

Still not having it in hand (FedEX is saying Thursday, now), I do look forward to the compact footprint of the Opsix. Full size keys but less than two feet wide will be appreciated in my small room.

3 Likes

Iā€™m expecting about the same quality of keybed as my Wavestateā€™s.

While some keyboard players have high standards for keybed quality - nothing wrong with that - you should absolutely not buy any keyboard synth that makes you feel uncomfortable - others like Yasuhiko Fukuda seem to just get the job done on anything. Fukuda also worked on the original Shofuku sound pack for the OG DX7.

7 Likes

From a thread on modwiggler, seems like you are not the only oneā€¦ something is weird with this discount for sure

link us up there, love a bit o Goss :sunglasses:

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226333&start=200

1 Like

:partying_face:

I too am reading 2nd and 3rd hand reports of display problems with warehouse Opsixes.

Best of luck to all still waiting for theirs. I ordered mine from eBay, but who knows where the seller really got the unit.

1 Like

Unhammy valley?

1 Like

Not with Youtube Premium.

Philosophically speaking...

Philosophically speaking, Youtube Premium is the distilled essence of all that is wrong with Google today compared to back in the early '00s. But life is too short to be mad all the time, so I fork over the cash and really enjoy the absence of ads and the ability to play youtube (music) videos on my phone while Iā€™m running other apps.