Korg Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, Drumlogue, etc ) Discontinued?

UPS and USPS are both superior to FEDEX

4 Likes

Totally been there. As a more general life hack, if you call in Sweetwater orders, you can ask your rep there to ship via UPS if that works better in your area.

2 Likes

FedEx sucks. Even if it requires a signature, they’ll sometimes just leave it outside, and that’s when stuff ends up missing. Anytime I have a FedEx package coming, I go online to “manage delivery”, and have them hold it at the nearest FedEx store and I go pick it up.

3 Likes

I never considered calling in orders. I bet Brian at Sweetwater would be really happy if I ringed him up, because he has called me out of the blue a couple times :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You can also ask for discounts if you call! Depending on the item you might get a deal. This mostly applies to larger orders.

2 Likes

Here’s the FEDEX SUCKS!! Thread.

6 Likes

So, mine arrived. More data points for the speculation around the reason for the selloff:

1. The firmware is v1.0.1
  2. The serial number is in the 9300 range

I can’t find a manufacturing date, but I’m thinking this is either old stock or Korg only sold 9k of them, and discontinued the product.

2 Likes

Fortunately the shelf life for a synth is way way more than two years. Bop a new firmware on it and you’re good to go.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Brings up a likely unanswerable question, that i’ve been wondering about.
How many OPSIXes did Korg actually blow out ?

SonicState reported that it was thousands, in a message sent to them by Reverb :

Today, KORG USA dropped thousands of KORG OpSix Synths on Reverb at a steep discount …

How many thousand ?
3,000 ?
5,000 ?
7,000 ?
More … ?

It was a bunch.

Plus all the units sold by all the retailers who participated.

Got to say it’s very nice of Korg to put this cool synth in the hands of so many.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh. Trip down memory lane. Fun fact. I no longer have any of those items I was waiting for, and have traded them off to the great beyond.

I wanna believe that Sweetwater made all their associates change their last name to “at Sweetwater”. Whenever I get calls from my rep he always starts by saying, “hey Jacob it’s Grant at Sweetwater…”.

5 Likes

So are these all snatched up?

Seems like it, at least at that price. You know there will be a steady inflow the secondhand market in a few months though! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Buy boxes went away yesterday and some orders have been cancelled:

1 Like

I think they are. I did see a few, brand new, on Reverb, being sold on a day or so later in arbitrage, for about $150 higher. Those are gone now too.

1 Like

In case anyone did not notice from the Reddit thread there’s this bit:

Korg via Reverb responded saying "There was an error in the quantity field which showed many more than were available. We’re really sorry. "

Sounds like inventory software bug and/or human error somewhere in the process.

Not to say that the argument about Raspberry Pi shortage or whatever wasn’t valid too.

For sure! I’m just enjoying the “why did the Opsix go on sale” game that the people of the internet are playing :wink: it’s totally fine if it’s old stock.

Is serial number ~9300 towards the end of the production line? If so, maybe they are simply discontinuing the product. If not, maybe these were stuck on a boat or in a warehouse and they needed to move them.

None of these data points are really enough to support either theory, of course.

3 Likes

On reddit someone was told they couldn’t get them a synth to fill their order because they are discontinued

I ordered mine Tuesday morning and it hasn’t been cancelled or shipped yet… we’ll see what happens. I had been doing really well this year with not buying anything, but at that price, I couldn’t resist. I’ve been wanting something more hands on to replace the TX802 for a long while anyway. I don’t think I’ll be too bummed if it does get cancelled though.

1 Like

Is anyone upset if the Opsix is discontinued?

Im still excited about this coming. My shipping shows a Thursday delivery.

Just got a message from support. Mine should ship in the next day or two. I feel so bad for the warehouse and support staff, things must be brutal right now.

7 Likes