Korg MS-20 mini love

Just picked one up and thought I’d share it here.
I know they’ve been out for a while now (the mini) but I got a great deal on one in Australia $400 brand new (eofy sale).
Didn’t know much about them, but looking at the patch pannel if you worked out the cost of getting that in euro modular its worth it just for that! Theres LFO, ENV, Noise, VCA, ENV follower/trig/cv, man this things awsome. Yeah its noisy, nasty but thats what they are.
And theres some fantastic patch tutorials online . Theres one that shows you how to build some really cool drum sounds (for the original MS but you can get fairly close most of the time).
And the hz/oct CV is not an isue, theres a “freq” input on the patch pannel that is actually volts/oct, just need to work out how to convert the trig to strig. I had it sending an lfo to my voyager last night for some nasty 5 osc tuned dubstep wub wub, mmmmmmm.
Peace out (Kip).

Love the mini! One of my favourite pitchers can be found at http://blog.ipppei.com/archives/cat_50032881.html

I think I caught that link on this forum actually.

I love sending drum tracks into the esp.

I really enjoy it with the zoom cdr multi-stomp. Hate to admit it but the synth didn’t really come to life until I could add chorus and delay. That’s partially because I don’t have the skills of ipppei, who manages to create delay sounds in the box.

You can put an elastic band around the two cutoff knobs to make a silly band pass filter…

Will Bulter’s catchy new song Anna has been stuck in my head for days and has the ms20 as a bass and lead.

1 Like

I am pretty sure if the original KORG MS-20 had 2 LFO’s, it would be the only mono analog synth made after 1978… Just kidding. But seriously, the MS-20 mini is a great synth.

My brother owns the mini and I think it’s great. Truly KORG tone and character for a great price given the semi-modular nature.

Glad to hear you got one, have fun dude! (Will have to look into this CV option you mention)

Love the “rubber band pass filter” idea, classic, lol. Will def try this, maybe find some sort of nice looking black rubber band or something so it looks like it actually came with the 20.
I havn’t got into the ESP yet, except for using it for a feedback loop (headphone o/p into it then back into EXT i/p).
@giftown Yeah I just found that site yesterday, wow, I thought I was pretty good at understanding synth patching but some of his you cant quite understand what he’s done. Its a bit hard cos he shows the patching but not the settings or am I missing something ?

1 Like

Yeah, ipppei only posts the patchbay. I think it’s just to encourage exploration.

It worked !

also may find this useful, if youve not seen it:

Thanks thats cool. I might do some research and try to build one myself (strig conv), should be fairly basic circuit.

I grabbed my a mini as soon as they were shipping to Toronto. Right away I was in love with finally being able to manipulate drums the way I could with the EXT IN. Once I began making my own drum sounds I began thinking about the kinds of things that led me to grabbing an Octatrack, but not before I ran out and bought a second mini. The way twin MS-20’s work together is unlike any synth out there, im really happy with them. In a pre Prophet-6 world they are my main hands on board(s).
I have since picked up an A4 and have been excited to be able to think about these guys even more with the CV control the A4 brings to the table.

That must be cool 2 mini’s, I only wish you could get the outputs of each filter for some feedback madness.
Can you give me some ideas how you use drums with the ESP please
Do you mean running loops thru it, or single hits to be resampled ?
Thanx.

Either or. Always loading single hits on to the OT, making new drum kits. Or running loops. All depends on the result you are after. Never be afraid to try somethi g, and keep digging!

Came across ipppei the other day, his patches are completely insane, never thought I’d hear sounds like that coming out of the MS20. The analog zaps and blips make for great OT food too.

I haz the mini love too - but i have another pressing thought, chip in here … MS-20 *ThumP* (with audio)
it’s about the thump !

Had a fun evening with my mini and wanted to revive this and share a video

1 Like

Great patch! Care to share if you remember it?

Loving the oscilloscope as well, is that coming through a laptop? I have an old CRT TV that I’ve been meaning to mod for ages.

Loving the oscilloscope as well, is that coming through a laptop? I have an old CRT TV that I’ve been meaning to mod for ages. [/quote]
Thanks! It’s an older Critter & Guitari videoscope, the first one which was much more limited as well as cheaper.

I’ll add the patch it to that site when I’m not on my cell, here’s a pic in the meantime http://imgur.com/ZhKWKRt. sorry if the wires are a little impossible…

1 Like

Loving the oscilloscope as well, is that coming through a laptop? I have an old CRT TV that I’ve been meaning to mod for ages. [/quote]
Thanks! It’s an older Critter & Guitari videoscope, the first one which was much more limited as well as cheaper.

I’ll add the patch it to that site when I’m not on my cell, here’s a pic in the meantime http://imgur.com/ZhKWKRt. sorry if the wires are a little impossible…[/quote]
Hey, that pic isn’t there…?

I’ll add the patch it to that site when I’m not on my cell, here’s a pic in the meantime http://imgur.com/ZhKWKRt. sorry if the wires are a little impossible…[/quote]
Hey, that pic isn’t there…?[/quote]
Here: http://i.imgur.com/ZhKWKRt.jpg

Great patch @giftown
And thanx for the link @Anfim , look at all those patches to try out :astonished:

NP, Check out the ipppei patches above too, they’re wonderful!
giftown that video synth looks great, good price too. Have you ever looked into the more complex ones like LZX or Tachyons +? Really cool stuff.