Korg Monologue

You omitted the most important detail… what colour did you get? :happy:

1 Like

Where did you get that MIDI list? I was just looking on Korg’s site this morning and all I could find was the ‘Quick Start PDF’. Was it in there and I missed it?

Blue!

I had been wanting Silver to complement my beloved Elektrons (and as a nod to the Steiner Parker Synthacon I got to play once in the late 80’s which was my first analog synth encounter). Then I got a bit blinded by the Gold my local reseller had out last month and almost went for it, but Blue seemed fairly unique but also a nice nod to some Korgs of old and it really does look good.

And this way my Monomachine doesn’t have to get jealous of any other silver synth (although she still gets a bit huffy around the Volca Bass). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You must’ve missed it.

Correct choice! :wink:

I like this thing quite a bit. Very pleased I bought one.

1 Like

Played around a little bit with feeding it back into itself tonight (headphone out to audio in). Yielded some fun variations on sounds.

Here are the first things I made after playing with it for about an hour.

3 Likes

I’m so smitten with this synth that I went ahead and ordered a used Minilogue I found. I can’t stop playing with this thing.

1 Like

So what are people using to transport their monologues? Definitely looking to pick something up.

I found a padded Dell laptop bag that fits great. $2 at a thrift store.

2 Likes

how is the filter compared to the Minilogue? Does make the 2pole filter a good bass? One thing I didn´t like on the Minilogue was the filter. Sold mine. Can do pretty ambient kind of stuff with the modulations … but I needed more lfos and for some simply pads 4 voices are not enough :confused:

Well, I already resold the Minilogue. I could tell right away I wasn’t really into it. The Monologue feels and sounds very different to me.

1 Like

Yo @PeterHanes
Do you know what software is able to convert these sysex files? I figured out how to do sysex dumps from the monologue and how to dump new tunings into it via scala. But I can’t figure out how to convert sysex dumps to new tuning tables to use in other synths/vst’s

You would have to write your own software, unless someone in the Korg community has already done so.

The format of the Monologue’s SysEx dump is not publicly available, but the manual says: “Consult your local Korg distributor for more information on MIDI implementation.”

Once you have that information, you could read the tuning tables from the SysEx dumps. Then you just need the formats for your other gear/software.

It’s only a handful of numbers to enter, so it’s probably just as easy to do it by hand.

2 Likes

Right. Well fuck it. I’m way too impatient for that kind of work. How important is it to knick a couple scales from AFX anyhow?

Monologue’s filter is miles better for bass. It sounds much angrier and grittier and most importantly it does not eat up the low end like the filter on Minilogue.

1 Like

Didn’t know one can do that. Cool!

Sorry can’t be of much help there. Just wanted to thank you for reporting that.

This only makes me wonder why oh why didn’t they put a juicer/beefier filter on the Minilogue? Pretty much my only complaint about the Mini. Oh well, I still love my weird little Minilogue.

2 Likes

Ye you got to open the user scale / user octave pane on the monologue, and you have to set the tuning model to #1 mts single note dump in Scala, and it should work mate

1 Like