Korg Modwave

Woah, there’s a lot of things in this one. And 32 note polyphony. Cool.

They specify 32 stereo voices, which makes me wonder about what sort of tricks there might be available beyond panning.

1 Like

Looks like its actually Bitimbral.

“Even with all that synthesis power, playing up to four simultaneous wavetables per voice in a single Program, the modwave still achieves 32-voice polyphony, incredible for a wavetable synth. Layer two Programs together for double the possibilities.”

8 Likes

This looks sick, love the sequencing options and gigabytes of samples included for layering, plus (praise the lord) an editor, which I really miss on synths that don’t have it. Also, user wavetables. Very excited about this one but waiting for more info/videos/demos.

1 Like

I’m very confused as to why they would label this as an updated dw8000. The DW didn’t have wavetables, it just had waveforms that you could choose from and put together like two oscillators. It also is known for its analog filter, which this doesn’t have. I like the interesting faceplate graphic more than the opsix though.

6 Likes

What differences jump out at y’all between this and Wavestate? Other than the Kaoss pad…

At NAMM 2021, Korg shows the modwave, a new all-digital two-layer wavetable Synthesizer with innovative Kaoss Physics and motion recording 2.0

Wavestate looked like editing patches could require a ton of work depending how deep you wanted to go, I think this will be much more immediate and will be better for futuristic sounds/basses/leads, & modern electronic music that is dance floor oriented. Of course it will be able to do much more than that, but those are my impressions globally.

on paper,
filters are analog, more modulation, morphing, sub osc, different OSC engine overall…

edit, same not-analog modeled filters…

1 Like

Are they analog? I thought it was bunch of modeled filters. Comparing it to the DW-8000 was confusing the issue.

4 Likes

you are right, they are modeled like the wave state.

this thing has so many details and so much marketing speak, its hard to keep up

1 Like

I’m wishing for a Desktop version. This thing is too big for the space left in my room.

5 Likes

I agree and wish they would tell us up front what the plans are, I got burned with the Minologue XD.

They’d have to be digital to fit in the box. It’d be impressive to have like hundreds of analog filters crammed in a box though (to account for 32 voices).

1 Like

That almost got me as well, they said the dw8000 was famous for its analog filters, but went on to say you can choose from 20 filter types on the modwave. Which I think means that they’re the same digital emulation on the wavestate and opsix.

2 Likes

I can see a cross between Argon8 and Hydrasynth.

Another good way to see the differences is to compare the diagrams at a glance.

Wavestate:

Modwave:

@Tchu , I am going to hold out for a module. I don’t have space for another keyboard and I’m not kicking the Pro 2 out.

5 Likes

Thanks! Yup, those are significant differences.

Also, I like the first batch of Modwave demos more than the first batch of Wavestate demos that I heard.

Finally breaking the monotimbral curse of Korg’s last two synths. Now if they could kindly provide a desktop unit…

It’d be great if these Korg boxes had a module closer to launch. I see the appeal of keyboards for people that might not have them but it seems like they are going for a mid range price point “collect them all” model with the minilogue xd, op six, wavestate, and now the modwave. For all of the modulation to be had in that line the lack of AT on the keys is a headscratcher as anyoen with a decent keyboard already will just holdout for a module.