Korg Modwave

I still wish they would release this series as modules, too, but…

Modwave seems like it might entice me to buy a keyboard I don’t want or need.

6 Likes

I like the design. It’s got kind of a Knight Rider Jet Ski vibe. I would splash around with it for a while.

really nice sounds in here :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Omg. At last a review. After 6 months of no info at all - difficult to believe we are there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Korg probably has very pressing financial reasons for not doing so, but I would really like a module. I don’t have enough space in my room. Think many of us here have similar sentiments (including one comment above mine)

Opsix module, Modwave module… that’d be a great option to consider.

3 Likes

Wondering how it manages “user sample upload”?

Is it possible just to load a wav file (how long it can be?) into osc and set the loop points? Is it possible to modulate start / loop points with modulators?

How many samples it’s possible to load into program 4 or 8?

Can it do sample upload ?
I skipped though to the end for the sound example. It sounded nice.

Pretty sure Loopop said No, at least for right now. I think that was in the Pros and Cons section of his video. But maybe – we’re still in the early release confusion phase.

2 Likes

I only asked as whenever a synth/drum machine comes out that has samples it seems to be assumed the user can add them, or there will be an update to add them.

People are still moaning on forums about gear that came out years and years ago. … the joys of the internet.

From the main Korg page they say you can load your own custom wavetables. That same source seems to me to indicate the samples can not, they come from a “built-in PCM library”.

ADDED: Yeah see 42:25 in Loopop vid, maybe someday for user samples.

I reached out to Loopop about this, and he said ‘not yet’ but that ‘yet’ was based on his hopes that outside pressure would change that.

My skepticism of that ‘yet’ on the other hand is the fact that Korg has (never? rarely?) produced any substantial firmware revisions to any products I can think of in all of my gear memory.

This is something I take into account when assessing Korg gear, actually; it is DOA as far as future improvements go, it seems. What you see is what you will always get.

4 Likes

And because of that, third parties have taken advantage. The Volca Sample and Volca FM firmware hacks by Pajen come to mind.
We need to get Pajen a Modwave!

2 Likes

There is also a question of built-in functionality. If the synth doesn’t have the nonvolatile memory capacity, then it’s game over. With the Wavestate Nick Batt had Korg rep Kwas saying there was gigabytes of memory left for user storage. But who knows if this is true ?

Or perhaps the memory space is volatile memory ?

But even if the sample library is fixed, that doesn’t mean it’s useless. It’s then a question of if you like the samples. Perhaps, and I’m dreaming, there could be musical genre versions of this synth.

ADDED: It’s a large library there is probably something there for everybody.

1 Like

My skepticism of that ‘yet’ on the other hand is the fact that Korg has (never? rarely?) produced any substantial firmware revisions to any products I can think of in all of my gear memory.

Check out my group’s previous product, the Kronos.

3 Likes

The same for me. I literally have no more place (and don’t own any full-sized keyboard).
Dan from Korg said multiple times on Gearsl… space forum that Korg is not planning any module (e.g. Minilogue XD module did not sale exceptionally well to prove the future modules).

upd:
Oh, oops. Hi Dan :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like how Loopop goes “…and there’s microtuning…” (brief shot of the tuning set to Equal Temperament) then quickly moves on to a different topic.

modWave is quickly making me rethink getting an MC-707 to serve as big brother/patch editor for MC-101. Different product, different synthesis, I know…

1 Like

Is it just me or does the Modwave sound kind of bad compared to the Opsix and Wavestate?

Poor Korg. Their production delay forced me to get a Hydrasynth KB instead and I’m quite pleased with it. Finding myself uninterested in the Modwave now.

If it’s gonna have keys, 49 does feel nicer than 37. Yea, I spent a few hundred more, but I’m real happy with the keybed.

5 Likes

My interest comes and goes with Modwave and Opsix.

Peeps said Opsix sounded bad until Jexus’ vids came out and all of a sudden it sounds good again. :smiley:

Modwave always appealed more to me, sound-wise, than Wavestate. But that’s my personal taste. On a more openly keyboard-oriented forum there’s this guy whose tastes are so different than mine, that I know that anything he hates, i’ll love and vice versa. Unfortunately, he cannot explain his views well, because his English usage in his posts is quite strange and difficult to understand, yet thinks his English comprehension and usage is perfect - so people are reluctant to interact with him anymore.

1 Like

To my ears all three synths sound like one technology and the Opsix is not the best one (maybe I just keep comparing it to the traditional FM, which is usually warmer and less clean).
From the three I like this the best, sort of new sound from Korg digital, obviously a generation++ to KingKorg/Radias