KordBot

I always had a slight interest in these. Sounds like they might be killing them off.

They have a few in stock on their website right now. There is also a video of him saying “if you want one grab it now, because there aren’t going to be any more”.

I decided to give one a try since they may be hard to come by in the future.

I like to explore chords and save sets I make to a Max device. I’m hoping this is simply a hardware version of that.

Anyway, I thought Elektronauts should know in case anybody had been wanting one.

2 Likes

I was always slightly curious, and thanks for bringing it up for people on the fence! I think looking into it actually motivated me into a major music theory learning kick, which was great for me, but is probably not good for selling units.

I do think they may have stretched too far functionality-speaking, resulting in cutting costs through build quality, but that happens pretty frequently to Kickstarters.

If people are intrigued but don’t want to invest the money (probably due to having a nicer MIDI controller), check out the iOS app “Suggester”. That with a little theory will really spice up your music.

3 Likes

My theory is functional and I have no issues writing chord progressions or melodies.

For me, I’m interested in a chord progression scratch pad where I can save chords to pads and then try them in different orders.

Ultimately I’ll record them into the DAW or another sequencer and put the Kordbot away.

I hope to store a personal library of chord sets which I can come back to later. I don’t expect anything else of the Kordbot but those things. As long as that works I’ll be happy. I can always make some upgrades to the hardware if I feel like it’s too flimsy.

Edit: Looking at the hardware in detail reveals that all of the “screen printing” is on the buttons and there is nothing on the case.

This means either 3D printing or creating a nice wood faceplate is just a matter of work with tools I already have. If I dig the Kordbot, it’ll probably get a makeover down the road :slight_smile:

New higher quality encoders and knobs wouldn’t be hard either.

This is totally me. I haven’t even received my brand new item and I’m already talking about tearing it apart and modifying it :joy:

3 Likes

Rather carefully crafted language here:

As of 10/5/2020 There are extremely limited quantities of white KordBots for sale.
If you are able to press the purchase button, then we still have stock!

I know they’ve been busy with their new product, and haven’t been emphasizing the Kordbot for a while. Wouldn’t they say something like, “Last chance”, or “We’re not making any more”, or something.

With their S2400 close to completion, is it possible they’re planning a revision on Kordbot, to address the “button firmness” issues and whatever else, and are just depleting stock of this version?

Maybe they’d answer the question “Is the Kordbot being discontinued ?”, if they were asked directly.

In one of the latest S2400 updates, he said Kordbots might not be available until March. I don’t think they are discontinued, but the focus will be to get the 2400s built and shipped.

1 Like

On this video is where it sounded like these are the last ones. He specifically says he’s not making any more.

This was posted a few days ago FYI

Apparently there will be another order of clear ones but it seems like these are the last ones to me.

2 Likes

That’s pretty definite to me too. Bye, bye Kordbot.

1 Like

I just came to tell everybody that I LOVE MY KORDBOT!

1 Like

Great! I have one on the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

The build quality leaves a little to be desired for but for finding great chord combinations and saving them on the pads it’s just great. The weakest link I think is the whole file management side of it but you’ll get used to it.

2 Likes

That’s all I want from it :smiley:

1 Like

I think i’ll get one some day, maybe second hand. It’s to expensive to buy it directly from USA.
I would play with Kordbot then record chords in other sequencer to make music (Pyramid smart pads would be my first idea).
Maybe an european elektronauts will sell one…

What’s the second-hand market like right now ? I wouldn’t expect that market to improve much given this is the end of a reasonably limited run, on a product this well liked, that fills a role shared by only a few other products.

2 Likes

Not my first time posting in this thread, but I just wanted to say again that the KordBot will never, ever leave my studio. It’s a phenomenal device capable of spitting out gorgeous chord progressions which never fail to inspire. The UI is a bit clunky but I couldn’t care less. Plus Isla Instruments hired a new employee to rebuild the software from scratch a month or so back, so there are changes coming. Already we’ve had a big update which optimised the CPU usage and fixed the MIDI in/out functionality.

3 Likes

This is odd considering the video evidence I posted above. Maybe it’s a version 2?

I don’t have it yet but I also don’t have any expectations for it to be more than it currently is.
I’m happy that the people who do like it seem to love it. Gives me hope that it will useful to me.

Besides supporting your products which is admirable in any company, why would they invest that amount of effort and money in a defunct product ? There is more to this story somewhere.

1 Like

I follow the Kordbot Users Group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/kordbot/) in which Brad posts updates on the company, products and firmware etc. Brad posted a video three days ago in which he stated the KordBot would be available up until March next year, at which point there ‘would definitely not be any more’ made. There are also 100 translucent KordBots, the proceeds from which will be provided to the Make a Wish foundation.

5 Likes

Well that’s right. I already saw 2 of them on AF. The 3rd will be mine.

My Kordbot just arrived.
Did your Kordbots come with rubber feet?
Mine seem to be missing.

I’m going to have to add some or it’ll be sliding everywhere.

I bought mine second hand but it had rubber feet and they seem like they’re factory installed and not put there by the previous owner.

It’s a pity that there’s omissions like this in brand new products. Hope you find suitable ones.

2 Likes