Komorebi Larva: DIY guide for electronic sound creature (ESP32 MCU, Arduino IDE, Mozzi library)

A little different from the stuff I usually post on here. This is an art project commissioned by Into The Great Wide Open festival for a paper publication of theirs (2020 stay at home festival edition…). My art partner and I created a kit with hardware components and guide for assembling a light-sensitive electronic sound creature called Komorebi Larva. It was bundled with the publication. We have now published the guide online as well:

https://dietervandoren.net/artefacts/komorebi-larva/

It’s made of cheap, widely available components. Even if not interested in our algorithmic composition it can be instructional as a gateway into complex micro-controller audio (ESP32 MCU programmed with Arduino IDE and Mozzi audio synthesis library).

Now with a bonus add-on for high quality audio output via the PT8211, a 16 bit DAC.

(The kit was really an intermediary step. We’ve since been working on the main project, which is the adult Komorebi creatures, 100 of them, with weather-proof bodies. To be premiered in August '21, corona permitting…)

3 Likes