Knobs vs Sliders

Most synths use knobs for controlling parameters but the small numbers of synths I own that are slider based (2600, Sh-01A, Manther) are super intuitive to use and understand. I think it has to do with linear relationships being easier to quickly grok than angles or arc lengths.

Anybody else find sliders more intuitive to use?

I understand some of the reasons for preferring knobs – endless encoders being the most obvious one, but I think many synths would benefit from sliders in some key places. Envelopes are the case where I dramatically prefer sliders.

What are synths have you used that are slider heavy or integrate sliders well for key parameters?

Does anyone make a nice slider-based MIDI controller?

2 Likes

Depends on the use. The Moog Grandmother and Matriarch have a fader for sustain in the ADSR section, but knobs for the other three. It makes so much sense that I miss it on other envelopes.

And the Octatrack wouldn’t be the Octatrack if its crossfader was a knob!

1 Like

I find the big benefit of sliders is that you can control many more than two things at once. I’ve been using a 16n faderbank to control synth/effects by midi.

6 Likes

I’m impartial for all but EGs. I much prefer sliders for EGs.

1 Like

From an accessibility standpoint I vastly prefer sliders - they are much easier on my hands and arms than knobs. I really prefer sliders for envelopes and volume/gain/ level - I guess I like them for things that dont need quick in-the-moment precision. I find them less precise for things that require minute adjustments.

I wasn’t aware of the 16n – looks really useful! If I was handier I might try and build one of these myself!

All my synths are knobs only aside from the deckards dream which (besides the volume knob) only has sliders. I think it looks awesome, but can’t say I genuinely prefer one over the other.

Both - why do you think the OT has been a decade long success?

I do enjoy the usage of both knobs and sliders in my Verbos modular.

I love knobs for parameters that I usually tweak live, like filter or effect controls, also for OSC tune on analogs. They just feel nicer and I can be more precise with them in live situation.

Sliders are great for envelopes and volume.

Encoders are best for programming, but they give worst feel when tweaking live. Cool for macro controls that change between patches or timbres (of course in combination with some sort of display for parameter name and value).

Combination is best from usability and also visual standpoint.

still on the ‘sellers reget’ list for me…

I wish more manufactures would put touch strips on like the Maschine Jam, they’re such an intuitive control method, and visually easy to see (in all lighting conditions) the value with the led strip next to them.

I do enjoy all of the sliders on the Microvolt, though I am curious what it would be like if it used knobs instead…

Team Sliders 100%. Could you imagine using a SH-101 with knobs? yeck.

1 Like

Peak has envelope sliders, it’s quick to see what values are on.

3 Likes

Alpha dial. We deserve to suffer.

1 Like

I’m a knobs guy myself; I find that even longer, better quality sliders lack the precision of a knob - I’d quite like a rotary mixer too…

Sliders make sense for visualising stuff like EQ and ADSR but I feel like it sacrifices ergonomics, personally.

Yes please, gimme! :joy:

2 Likes

Only controllers I’m aware of are the Akai ones or the Fader fox UC4

there are some problems with sliders:
– they take more space
– they are harder to operate when making subtle/precious changes

and yes, if soneone makes SH-101 in desktop form factor (no keys) and with knobs instead of sliders – i’ll buy four or five.
but only two Odysseys :tongue:

1 Like

Inspired by @Aevai I did a little digging into 16N devices for slider-based MIDI controllers.

Turns out there are a few “pre-made” options based on the 16N platform. The one that looks most promising is this controller by Michigan Synthworks:

Cool features of the above:

• USB C powered and/or MIDI over USB
  • MIDI over TRS mini jack
  • CV outputs
  • Browser based configuration tool

So it appears it can be integrated into any hardware or software setup. There’s a Eurorack based version as well if that’s your thing. You can order 'em direct from MSW or Perfect Circuit carries them as well (yay frequent 10% discounts)

3 Likes