✦ kirlian farewell tracks ✦

i haven’t posted here too much since elektron users became history, but i lurk a lot, still picking up tips and asking the occasional newb questions, and helping the occasional newb late at night when frustrations run high…

anyway, i’m moving on from the project and name around which my entire electronic music world has orbited since 2003 and thought it fitting that i post the last of the tracks i produced under that name here.

this one started out as a MnM, MD and Korg Volca tack, but became a work piece while i tried to learn some new mixing techniques, and a study in what can happen when you try too hard to get things right.

it took a year and there are probably 20 different mixes of this track.

please enjoy, ALBATROSS

i’ll be posting as many more as i can finish before i give up on the “unfinished” folder on my hard drive. most of them are almost pure elektron

thanks for listening!

1 Like

another. this one started life inside the OT. I think the op-1 was doing something on this one too…

from 2012 but given new life in ableton last month.

and while i’m at it, i’ll post a few favorites from soundcloud

like this semi ambient piece on which i layered some alto sax, and the remix that NILS did. where are you NILS?

1 Like

Nice work Kirlian
A lot going on in these tracks, lot to be learnt here.
Love Albatross, really crisp, some wicked programming.
How much live interaction is there? Like when the melody plays 3rd way in then goes chaotic, is that all pre programmed or are you using LFO’s on pitch?

Any details on the new project? Modular??
Hope you’re still gonna be around, I miss a lot of the guys from EU :frowning:

1 Like

Hi kirlian,

I am new to ambient music when it comes to producing it myself, but I adore ambient, as some of the best iTunes purchases I have ever made are ambient tracks… Listened to all your stuff on SoundCloud and would say it’s relaxing and made me feel as if I were having a long eternal journey… Good job!

This is my ‘debut’ ambient track, think I’m already inspired to develop that kind of project after having listened to your tracks!

1 Like

beautiful tracks, kirlian – looking forward to hearing where you go next, whoever you’re gonna be :stuck_out_tongue: what’s up with the moniker shift, anyway?

bluewolf- glad you enjoyed. it’s good to see some familiar names from EU around! there was definitely tons of live interaction through the creative process and in the original recordings i took from the MnM, MD and volca beats. i worked a lot on this track last spring, and then put it away until about 2 weeks ago, so i can’t tell you what exactly is going on there. especially because i had already bounced and resampled so many times that it’s impossible to know what was going on at the source.

rady - i just listened to your track. nice stuff man! i love making ambient/drone music, especially live. it requires so much focus and awareness. i often get surprising results because i am not thinking so much about the music.

dub - thanks. i appreciate you taking time to listen :slight_smile:

as far as the new project… it’s actually the same! same studio, same instruments, no new gear (except hopefully a RYTM this year) it’s more a conceptual shift and a move to present my music more personally. i’m letting go of the moniker and the history associated with it because i feel that the music made under it has reached a conclusion, or at least a turning point. … except i’ll probably still be kirlian here and probably at soundcloud too :joy: maybe i’m just separating me and my music from this one title that was kind of arbitrarily picked when i got my first copy of reason 2.5 and started doing this in 2003. sometimes changing an attitude changes everything else. i guess it’s like that.

thanks, guys!

Cody! Good to see you my man, sad to see the Kirlian moniker is going sort of but interested to hear where that takes you. Hope all is well in the world and you are happy/productive as always.

Hoping to give these a proper run through this evening…

Best stuff I’ve heard at this forum. What an ear and sense for detail and well thought out songs with emotional impact. Sorry to gush, but… damn. Thanks for posting these!

kirlian, this is really beautiful stuff! like Bwax said, some of the best tracks I’ve heard on here! can’t wait to hear what you come up with next

very very good

hey andy!! good to see you around. i’ll give your new tracks a spin too. we should catch up via PM.

bwax & jamrod - thanks much for the compliments. beautiful and emotional are attributes that i am attracted to and always hope my music has.

I’ve not even heard them properly yet but I just know bwax will be on the money- kirlian always among the best I’ve heard here or elsewhere. He good!

Nice one, Kirlian. Great textures and soundscapes. Sounds very professional!

1 Like

thanks zilla. that’s where i’ve been for a while… trying to understand mixing and making tracks sound polished. it’s helped my elektron only mixes too. glad it’s coming out

Albatross is really great - rich on details and great mix. I enjoyed a lot!

1 Like

kirlian, what pushed you to move to st. louis from SA?

1 Like

Hey Cody!

Good to hear from you :slight_smile:
Sorry to see Kirlian going. Please do post the new tracks though.
Enjoying these as usual!

1 Like

Albatross is absolutely far king great

1 Like

This one I enjoyed, the more because ( what I call breackbeat - >> lots of differen noises and rittems ) most of the time it just sounds shit to me.
It must be difficult to make a consistant story in this style - most of the time it’s just a buch of noises that don’t get together.or communicate in an interesting way. Maybe it’s a gift and not as complicated as I think it is - I make a different kind of music. But I really enjoyed this music - that’s a big pleasure. U must know Squarepusher - now this guy dous it to for me. I think it must be one of the most difficult styles to do something really good. Most who try just fuck-up
GOnna listen to more of your stuff -this was the first one - to see if I like the rest… Thanx …