[Kickstarter] MRCC (Midi Routing Control Center)

To make the MRCC interesting to me, it would need hub support, basically. I’ve got twelve USB midi devices connected to my Bome Box right now, and I can use an isolated hub with 2A/port. Nice to haves are Ethernet, both for network midi and for browser-based configuration, and a few more USB device ports, for connecting devices like the Blue Box that only offer USB midi host ports. Right now, I’m using these Sevilla Soft USB to USB converters for the latter.

1 Like

Regarding the Remote 7 for MRCC, we did indeed update the firmware so the Remote 7 outputs are independently routable. There’s a “remote” button, press it, then select the remote output you want to route to. It also works MRCC to MRCC, but you can’t have MRCC to MRCC and Remote 7 without a special splitter.
There are two sets of interfaces on the MRCC RJ45 jack; 5 MIDI output ports for the Remote 7, and a high speed (2 wire) bus for MRCC to MRCC connection. We’re making a custom splitter to split these out for those who want to connect 2 MRCCs and use Remote 7. In this configuration, Remote 7 goes back to being “thru” ports for MRCC outputs 1-5.

2 Likes

And we sold out the inventory, but just received the remainder of the first 1K batch so they are back in stock again. Starting on another batch, which fortunately we acquired the micro controllers and other hard to source parts before they sold out.

2 Likes

The Bome Box has a lot to offer. It might make a nice expansion companion for MRCC. The MRCC USB PC connection is USB MIDI class compliant, with 12 USB MIDI ports. I wonder if the Bome Box would see all of those ports on its USB host?

Yup, it will. Having two different routing interfaces would be a bit inconvenient, though — the big selling point for me of the MRCC is that you do get front panel routing control plus at least moderate filtering/modulating capabilities. To take real advantage of the Bome in that configuration, you’d probably have to be either looking at it with the MRCC, a hub, and another midi interface in a much more complex setup, or for solving special-purpose use cases like network midi connections or complex midi rewriting rules.

1 Like

This is super-interesting. Is it possible to use one MRCC as the interface for managing another one via this connection? Here I’m thinking about wanting the routing capability of a paired system while only having to give up desk real estate for one unit, with the other one hidden away.

You can route inputs on the first MRCC to outputs on the other MRCC. So you will still have to use the routing buttons on the remote MRCC to route back to the first, then save the patch so it will load next time its turned on.
To route to the remote unit, press the button for the input you are routing from (LED lights green), then press and hold the “remote” button and select the output(s) you are routing to (LEDs light yellow for remote routings).
Press the remote button to see remote routings on the routing matrix screen.
And on the Routing screen it will show for instance, 1 -> r2 for Input 1 to remote port 2 along with indicators for MIDI messages being sent, what channel they are sent on, and if there is a clock coming in on that port. For me, besides simple front panel routing, the MIDI message monitoring is the most valuable feature.
Also, label your synths and controllers with their MIDI channel assignments and everything will be easier :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone here have one? If so, how is the clock? [stabilty]

If it rivals the ERM, it’s a no brainer. This is a piece I’d LOVE to get once I have some income.

[can it be started and stopped from an external source?]

It won’t rival ERM. The ERM Multiclock bypasses USB MIDI using an audio interface, and a proprietary plugin to sync with a DAW. But this is kind of a religious issue, like audiophile speaker cables… in the real world, unless you are a professional producer syncing from your DAW to video, most of us would never know the difference. Not wanting to start a sh!tstorm here, just an opinion, and there are certainly plenty of cases where in a professional setting, or if money is no object a Multiclock is worth the investment.
We’ve compared the MRCC clock to things like the Korg SQ-1 and Arturia Beastep Pro and they are all about the same. Pretty much all of the latency and jitter is caused by the operating system, which is why for ultimate accuracy you have to bypass USB MIDI. Modern microcontrollers have very accurate microsecond timers so there really is no excuse for a sloppy clock these days.
For those interested, we took some measurements with the logic analyzer early in MRCC’s development. We measured MIDI latency and jitter in microseconds (1/1000 of a millisecond). Windows is making latency in milliseconds. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thendlr/mrcc/posts/2656230

4 Likes

Yes, the clock can be set to run continuously, or you can use Start/Stop/Continue message to control the clock.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the info. :+1:t6:

1 Like

Here’s more:

5 Likes

I wish they’d done the micro88 with a few more TRS connectors - would have been ideal for addressing some of the limitations of my M:C M:S based setup.

That aside, looks awesome.

1 Like

Any information about the price of the two? I am on the fence for buying the big MRCC and now I found this. Quite interesting although I am afraid the u88 might have not enough I/O for my studio. But it might be quite right for gigging.

Nice new products. I just wish they would have developed MRCC into a finished product before moving on to their next projects. There’s still some basic functionality missing (like naming user presets), lots of USB MIDI incompatibilities… Still a great product, but it could be much better.

1 Like

What’s going on there ? Particular synths/sequencers it doesn’t like ? Hubs ? Computers ?

https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22

1 Like

Loopop did a video where he uses the MRCC and the Erica Synths Matrix Mixer to connect and reconfigure a massive amount of gear. He shows how this all works and gives pointers on setting it all up.

I put the video over in the Matrix Mixer thread :

That u88 is very tempting as a midi router and interface. It would be nice to change what my MIDI keyboard and MIDI controller point to on-the-fly. I told myself no new gear this year, but I will have to keep an eye on this just the same…

1 Like

I would like MRCC on my rig, since I have 3 usb midi controllers it would handy to control many parameters with this router the synth,samplers, pedals etc.

Octatrack
waldrof xt
eurorack 100hp 15u case
Roland vdrum td-8
1010music blackbox
1010music bluebox
poly effects beebo
vongon paragraphs
hologram microcosm
eventide h90
eventide space
eventide time factor