Kick Drum Module to pair with Digitakt?

Vemona lancet kick

4 Likes

Thanks what is the midi implementation like on the Volca Kick? I’d want to control midi cc from Digitakt.

There is also the Vermona Lancet Kick, which has a lot of tweak ability but no memory.

Another alternative is the Volca Beats and just use the kick drum sound, which is nice and full.

I tried doing this exact same thing using the Vermona, the Volca Beats, and the Volca Kick. However I ended up just going back to using carefully chosen kick samples played from the Digitakt. The Digitakt can really nail those low punch frequencies if you plan your gain staging well and use the built-in compressor. As nice as it was to have a separate kick module, it ultimately made things too complicated during live sets; one too many things to mess up. YMMV if you’re only focusing on a few things at a time but if you have the Digitakt, a few synths, and a mixer, there’s already a lot of stuff to keep track of live.

3 Likes

I’m not sure, hopefully someone else has an idea… I’m big on sampling, so I sample all sounds & sequences I make on it into 1 of my samplers.

There might be info about it in this thread:

Iv’e just seen this?

VG-Line BD9Q9 Desktop

Video

Bass Drum BD 9Q9 (Roland TR-909 Kick clone) Analogue synth

With Elektron

Another vid

Moog DFAM is wild and will give you so much more than just kick samples.
sequencing it from DT is not so straight forward though. but as a pure one hit sound source it’s deep.

1 Like

I just found this thread with a little info about sequencing the Kick with the Digitakt -

1 Like

Thanks for the link, interesting.

Just use samples dude for your scenario, sent you a pm.

2 Likes

I highly agree with this. I used to set up a lot of external gear on a Digitakt, but those settings are per project and that becomes messy pretty quickly. Eventually, I booted the external modules from my setup and replaced them with an A4 and Rytm. As cool as the external sequencing is on the Digis, the setup per project is not very fluid unless you limit it to only a few of the same devices, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Right now I’m scaling down on my setup, I don’t have much left now, only the 2 new purchases, DK/DT and a TD-3 + Akai MPC X which I may sell. I just find the Elektron way much easier and hands on.

Don’t need much to play out live here (after Corona has gone) I’m very happy with just the DK/DT and my pedals TBH guess I’m just gassing hehe.

I made a sample pack myself but never released it so I’ll try that in the DT this weekend.

Thanks

2 Likes

Digitone is great for kicks though

I’m loving the Volca Drum as my primary kick (and other drums) source to feed the Digitakt.

I like my Jomox MBASE 11 and plan to use it more in the future again. I usually end up layering it but it depends on the type of kick drums you’re going for. It definitely has the meat, which is why I still have it. It’s also really versatile for electronic kicks. Not great at the “real kick body” kind of sound though which is why I layer sometimes.

I also need to make an editor for it. I’m sure there are some out there but I like to make my own with Max for Live so it’s what I want.

Just one?
You sold the collection?

I didn’t like it because of the fixed sweep depth or speed, don’t remember, but I found it limited.

I just sold my AR to buy a DT, and I’ll pair it with with my A4, and a Tetra I just bought, for more analogue drums, especially kick. Four Tempest voices ! I may sample them in DT to free its voices.

MIDI implementation is pretty standard: you can CC all the functions (knobs) on the Volca KICK (apart from main volume knob). There is a MIDI implementation chart for it.
The only thing you cannot do is use the FX part from remote CC.

Edit: as for the Volca KICK itself, it is one of the most interesting Volca in my opinion: I have managed to pull some amazing sub bass and other stuff out of this unit which has nothing to do with a kick. As someone said earlier in this thread: it surprisingly kicks VERY hard :slight_smile:
MS20 filters are reknown :wink:

2 Likes

Never had any issue sequencing Volca KICK from DT.
The thing you cannot do is motion sequence: this has to be done from the unit itself.
What is interesting though (more so with synth type Volcas, ie Keys, FM…) is to sequence notes on the DT and motion sequence on the Volca -> surprises :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I kept the black one, matches my gear. I plan to midi it up with the Digitakt, my setup will be bare minimal with maximum effect with less gear I don’t need Octopus hands and everything is close by.

Good thing about the new Digitone Keys I bought this week is that there’s plenty room behind it to put the Digitakt when it comes tomorrow and my 3 boss 500 pedals, the TD-3 fit anywhere it’s not so big.

As I said somewhere else on the forum I find the Elektron way the easiest way to work and I’m quite familiar with all machines except Octatrack which is deep, I had the first version back in 2015.

Quite happy with what I’m settling on here.

Rob

2 Likes

I recently had the same dilemma and since I love the MFB drums sound, I ended up buying a cheap MFB 522(with individual outs) from Reverb and I also have all the other sounds when needed.
I also considered MFB301 pro which is even cheaper but with no individual outs and the BD sounds a little bit weak(the bongos are amazing tho).

I also considered the 522 bass drum and snare modules but I’m a cheap bastard and I don’t want to go to the eurocrack rabbit hole. However with the money for Mbase or Vermona you can get a small 32HP Doepfer B stock cubicle, a midi to cv module and the MFB 522 bass drum module with space for extendability and the benefits(and curses) of eurorack.