Kenton Interchanger -- Smart MIDI Patch Bay

• Eight’ in, eight out DIN MIDI ports, four USB MIDI host ports, and one USB device port, plus two foot switch (you obviously could make those buttons) inputs.

• Programmable routing, with MIDI processing at each connection point, with a 4 x 4 routing matrix, and up to 255 selectable patches. Patch changes can include setup, like different program changes to each channel of each port.

Obviously this is a competitor to things like Conductive Labs MRCC, and the Blokas Midihub. The comparison will depend on the details for each and your particular needs.

This is still a prototype, so more detail to follow. Here’s an article from Synthtopia:

4 Likes

There’s two 7-8 MIDI Ins and Outs. Do they refer to the same?

Yes they are duplicates for convenience on the front panel.

ADDED: You set which is active in configuration.

2 Likes

It strikes me that for a midi patch bay it makes a lot more sense to have each in and out next to each other in pairs, like the iConnectivities have. This seems like it basically does what the Mio X series does. The Mio firmware was a little glitchy in earlier versions but is pretty stable now. On the other hand, it’s good to see some competition on the midi interface front.

2 Likes

Still not released… will it ever?

Still on the way. It has had a series of delays. For instance they’ve changed the display out for a graphics display, so that would also include some extra programming too. I think they are also adding more processing elements to it so that it is much more than a patch bay now too. Obviously they need to provide a product differentiation to the MRCC so that probably also pushed this back into engineering. Smart move to not ship a product before it is ready.

A video with Gaz from last years Synthfest UK 22 :

4 Likes

I don’t need this but I love that Kenton are still around and making new stuff. everything they do is very high quality and I expect this will be no different.

1 Like

I’ve been hoping for a few years now that this would come out before my 20+ year old motu midi timepiece av usb finally bites the dust lol. Glad to hear it has not been abandoned.

1 Like

Will this offer better than the Conductive Labs MRCC?