Keith McMillen 12 Step with OT

It depends really…

Since the “track play” notes are already defined a certain note per track, auto channel should work just fine, probably any midi channel assigned to an audio track but I haven’t tested… The notes themselves specify what track to launch so the channel shouldn’t matter as long as OT is listening to it…

For things like chromatic playback or manipulating playback page parameters by CC, they are the same notes and CC’s for every track, no distinct track separation. For those you’d have to use the tracks specific midi channel or use the auto channel with the track selected…

2 Likes

So I tested. You are right, any midi channel assigned to an audio track works. :+1:

3 Likes

Well now I feel foolish for buying a second piece of gear. At least I got a great deal on it. As for connecting the two, it comes with a KMI expander that converts midi to USB.
Also, I’m glad I’ll still have my 12 step available for use with my moog Minitaur

1 Like

So I haven’t had a ton of time to work with the octatrack but I decided the other day to put some time in. I meticulously went through the Keith McMillan softstep programming using the attached chart for reference and set the softstep keys to the “toggle” function in the hopes I’d be able to mute and unmute the tracks, as well as notes 33/34 for starting and stopping sequencing.
Well, I hooked it up using a KM expander module in standalone mode and no go still. I’m getting close to giving up on this dream :broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart:

1 Like

i’ve got the softstep2 working with OT. which KMI product are you using?! (i suppose i can scroll up, too)

softstep 1?

@Blackhawkamps

I have a softstep 1 but maybe it’s an issue with setting up something in the octatrack to listen for the softstep? I’ll go back and compare my settings with yours, thank you so much for showing your settings!

1 Like