Kali Audio LP-6s - Bristling noise?

Just got these speakers today as a second set for my project studio. Plugged them in and playing back music, there seems to be a pretty audible “bristling/crunching” noise in the mids & lower mids (both speakers)…I wonder if the speakers need to be broken in or if they may be defect. Anyone else here who’s got any experience with these? Your experience reports would be well appreciated if so, there’s still little to be found on the internet.

They should sound fine right off the bat. Might you be feeding them too hot a signal? Did you follow the setup advised in the manual, in particular:

First Time Setup
-Connect audio cables
–If you’re connecting RCA, make sure that dip switch #8 is switched UP to the ON position
–If you’re connecting XLR or TRS, make sure that dip switch #8 is switched DOWN to the OFF
position
•Turn the volume knob counter clockwise as far as it will go
•Turn the speaker on
•Start playing material from your playback device at a low volume
•Slowly turn the volume knob clockwise to the center detente, -0 dB position. Make sure you hear what you’re playing

And

Troubleshooting

1. I hear cracks, hums, or buzzing
    • Are you using RCA?
    a. If “yes,” be advised that RCA is an unbalanced connection, and is prone to picking up noise as sig- nal travels through the cable.
    b. If “no,” be sure that the dip switch # 8 is moved DOWN to the OFF position.

• Is the speaker close to electronics like a television, wireless router, phone, motor, or radio? If so, these can interact with the speaker’s magnets in ways that cause unwanted noise. Try moving the speaker at least .5 Meters (20 inches) from any such devices.

Also… do not connect both XLR and TRS to the same speaker at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks @Open_Mike for your help! I had already tried all of those steps but unfortunately to no avail. Speakers have been on for a while and now the “problematic noise” has changed into more of a crackle…

I wrote Kali’s tech support and they confirmed that most likely the speakers are defect, stating that they had some issues with earlier batches shipped to/in Europe.

They’ve offered to replace the speakers I have at no cost to me, so let’s see.

Apart from that noise (which has now shifted to occur in the lower end), I can already tell how amazing a deal these speakers are…they are punching well above their weight/price.

1 Like

I had to send a speaker back that had kind of a subtle weird buzziness in the treble range when I got it, replacement sounded great immediately. I imagine the replacements should be fine. Speaker break in to some is a myth and even to those that believe in it its nothing drastic like what you’ve noticed. They should sound just fine when you turn them on as long as they’re connected properly, have the right settings, and your not feeding them too loud of a signal.

1 Like

Hey buddy, Appears I´ve the same problem. Do you solved this?
Thanks!

I did my man, wrote Kali Audio, they shipped me a new pair, they had problems with the preamps in first production batches, so you’re likely to have one of those (like I did).

Write Kali Audio, they shipped me a new set in no time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice!
Unfortunately (on the first use), one of my Lp-6, presented this problem.
lets see whats happens.
Thanks!

So, there is no noise anylonger, or is it just on a bearable level now?

No noise on playback, just lovely crisp sound.