Justifications

I’m curious, how would justify the amount of gear you have?

I think that unless a person is truly a minimalist, like they only have 1 groovebox or 1 guitar and nothing else, most of us have a some amount of excess gear. One thing I feel I have in excess is 3 electric guitars. Objectively, I just need one. I keep all three because one is my baby, one sounds soooo good, and one I worked on and upgraded, I like what I’ve done to it, and I want to hold on to it, haha.

So how do you justify getting gear continuously? How do you justify keeping it and not getting rid of things? How do you justify your “justifications”?

4 Likes

Justify to whom ?

30 Likes

Passion. No justification needed.

12 Likes

it’s kinda like one of those shampoo ads that tells you “you’re worth it” except there’s no shampoo, just gear.

29 Likes

If I want to buy it
I buy it ( if I have the money )

Same with buying a sandwich, computer or fish fingers.

4 Likes

It doesn’t apply to bald guy like me. :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m part of the club apparently.

4 Likes

Let’s start a group called The Balds.

5 Likes

I’d feel more comfortable if we’re called “the baldings” and just shave our heads to keep our progress a mystery.

8 Likes

At my worst, when I had a roomful of gear I had a hard time justifying it to myself. At best I’m below average keyboard player and it was always more about hoarding and collecting stuff than playing them…

For the last about 5-7 years my amount of gear has reached a nice and somewhat modest balance. I have just the amount of gear to fill one office table. A bunch of them on top, another bunch below.

I have:
1 guitar
4 pedals
1 looper
2 samplers
3 synths
2 effects boxes
and 1 drum synth

That’s something I can live with. For a hobbyist that’s plenty of gear.

4 Likes

In truth I don’t need any gear. I think most of us, given no other option, would be able to make music with just a laptop or whatever other computer most of us likely have.

That said, I work hard (mostly) and I’ve earned the money I make, and I want to spend it on toys because toys make me happy, and these are the toys I like.

I have more than I probably intended to have (which was at one point just an Octatrack), but for now that’s fine and I’m finding ways that make me feel like I can accomplish something with what I have, and still have fun.

8 Likes

I’ve been shaving my head for 25 years. :rofl:

4 Likes

You should stop one day … it grows quite slowly.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Because I have ADHD!!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Now, do I need to justify my shavings.

4 Likes

with a shavings account.

9 Likes

One day I’ll be dying. The last thing I want to be thinking about is all the baddass equipment I never was able to make overly simplistic music with.

14 Likes

“It felt right at the time.”

4 Likes

I thought for sure you were about to say “I want to be able to look down from heaven and laugh at them trying to figure out what to do with my shit”

5 Likes