Just got the Rytm mkii. Confused how to make a live set

So I made a pattern and have it on bank a step 1. Then I switch to bank A step 2 so I can create another pattern (essentially another Song).
I assume that the pattern on bank a step 1 is saved. So when I create a new set of sounds and patterns, then switch to the pattern on step 1, all the sounds changed. It seems like any sound source change I make goes into the previous bank pattern.

How do I create different sounds and patterns and have them saved so I can switch through them on the banks?

I don’t understand the workflow of having songs saved and switching through them to create a live set. Is each song saved to a separate project ? But then you load up a project in the middle of a live set? That doesn’t seem ideal. I would think I have one project for each live set, and different songs in different banks. But then my sounds aren’t saving on each bank

Help!

you probably want to read the manual, specifically the chapter about kits. If you want to use different sounds in pattern a2 then you would have to pick a different kit. Otherwise a1 and a2 use the same set of sounds/instruments aka the dame kit.

8 Likes

Oh I see,

So first I would create two kits. I would save each kit separately and then load each one into the a1 and a2, then save it as a project?

I’d also recommend to read the manual. The Rytm is fairly complex for a drum machine.
Let me give you some pointers to get started.

Each project consists of 128 patterns, devided into 8 bank with 16 patterns each. There are also 128 slots for kits. Multiple patterns can use the same kit, or you could give each pattern its own kit.

A Kit contains:
Sound parameter settings for the 12 drum tracks.
FX track parameter settings.
Level settings for the drum and FX tracks.
Retrig settings.
Sound settings
Performance and scene mode macros and parameter settings.

You can load/save kits from the kit menu. Load a kit onto a pattern or save the current state into a kit slot to link that kit to the pattern.

A pattern contains:
General trig settings on the trig page (default note pitch, velocity etc)
Quantization settings.
Note trigs for all tracks.
Trigless locks for all tracks.
Parameter locks.
Sound locks.
Trig mutes.
Accent trigs.
Slide trigs.
Swing trigs & swing amount.
Length and time signature for the tracks.
And which kit is linked to the pattern.

You can also save sounds.
A Sound contains all the settings you dialed in on the parameter pages of a drum track (synth, sample, filter, amp, lfo).

How you structure the patterns and kits is up to you. Some popular approaches are:
A whole pattern per “song”. You could use different kits to further structure that song, like an intro kit, one kit for part A and another for part B of the song and then one kit for the outro.
Or, if you want to rely on playing, rather than premade structures, use only one kit for the whole song. This gives you more freedom in how you structure the song, i.e. how you do buildups, breaks and transitions, because you can change to any pattern at any point without having to worry about parameters not matching.

Another popular approach is to use four patterns per “song”. This works well for music styles that don’t have rigid structures and don’t require the use of many patterns.
Also popular is to use only one pattern per “song”, each pattern has its own kit and you perform the arrangement by unmuting/muting tracks, utilize trig conditions and fills, performance macros, scenes etc.

Yes. Give each pattern its own kit/save onto different kit slots. Also save the patterns (patterns can be reloaded independently, I wrote above what makes up a pattern) and then save the project.

5 Likes

…welcome…and congrats…to ur first elektron device and ur first rtfm…

it’s all tmi at first…no worries, u’ll find ur way…

5 Likes

Welcome @Zenon.

Lol. Your first RTFM

It’s nice that on this forum people encourage to read the manual, but still drop some knowledge necessary to answer the question. It’s quite friendly

3 Likes

Hi, I made a tutorial covering exactly that. Finding a solid workflow can be challenging at the beginning, here I share how I go about that, check it out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat so bookmarking this thread.
Thanks to those who have participated so far, very helpful info!