Just got kicked off reverb

It is most definitely their loss. I think it’s a really dumb move for them to be so trigger happy with kicking people off Reverb. You would think they’d take your history in consideration.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been said but Sweetwater is creating a used gear selling system. Final fees are gonna be 7.5% (supposedly) and no fees for a few months if your payout is a Sweetwater gift card.

1 Like

The whole write an apology thing feels very Elon Musky.

1 Like

i don’t know. if there’s a tiered system we didn’t sell enough on reverb to reach a place where we got a better deal.

yeah i hear ya… but it’s a fine line. we had people come in and buy stuff locally after they saw it on reverb. “oh you’re in portland… so am i. i’ll come in and check it out” and then they buy it and that’s that. we would cancel the reverb listing.

2 Likes

What were the terms of use when you started and had to agree when creating an account? Perhaps this business model can be tweaked to something else. For example listimg a device for $X and no further fees until sold or they could introduce “annoying” ads to make additional revenue etc.

forget about Reverb man, bring them goodies on back to Craigslist

3 Likes

Yup, bring back Craigslist!

3 Likes

Fuck dude this sucks I’m so sorry. I recently discovered this aspect of Reverb. I was messaging a friend of mine about buying his OT. I told him i would pay cash and come and pick it up. He immediately told me to switch to email. I just thought he preferred email. Anyways, he had to price the OT the highest he could (the price of a new one) and some one bought it!!! Luckily he told me about another one for sale for the original price he was going to sell me his for. Fuckin crazy. He says they have bots that will monitor messages for things like this. NEVER assume your messages are private. No matter what. They are always watching.

2 Likes

Trading is the new selling. F*ck Reverb.

4 Likes

Dieter says delete.

2 Likes

Yeah the ETSY sale was an pretty obvious things are about to get way worse now also, but even before that it was pretty clear reverb was not about connecting musicians selling gear and instead about finding ways to monetize them… the whole boosted post stuff always bothered me. I have read some of there random articles and watched there videos which I never found bad, but its is probably safe to assume those people are pretty disconnected from the monetization team.

While I understand the idea of them trying to prevent people loopholing the system to get around fees, those fees should be fair and offer enough safety for people to actually want to use them… Attempting to prevent a local in person sale is just stupid.

2 Likes

Reverb are brutally invasive of any messaging between buyer/seller. I shared my phone number with a prospective buyer once, because he had so many questions that it was difficult to address it all in the messages. The next day I received a VERY nasty warning message from Reverb about selling offline. (I had not yet sold the item, and ended up selling it to another buyer on Reverb.) Reverb overcharges in terms of their commission, and if there were another platform online with more reasonable rates, I think a lot of people would migrate to that. Having said that, I did once sell an item to a buyer who (I believe) damaged the item after it arrived in order to get out of paying for it. My theory is that he had a damaged copy of the item and wanted to do a switcheroo with his broken one and say it was the mint condition one I sent. (this was a $500 Paiste ride cymbal, so there was no serial number, hence no way for me to prove it wasn’t the one I sent.) Luckily, I had taken photos of the cymbal in the packaging (which was very protective) and Reverb was convinced that I had done my job as a seller to protect the item. I still got paid, and either Reverb ate the cost, or they were onto the buyer (if indeed he was trying to scam, which I believe he was.)

1 Like

Really appreciate all these responses. It’s funny, I had $3000 worth of stuff listed with lots of watchers, and I was about to buy a $650 lifeforms sv-1, and now I got the boot. That’s money they’re losing out on…it’s bizarre and lame.

1 Like

Reverb’s thinking:

1 Like

Maybe their fucking fees wouldn’t be that high if they didn’t spend that much time and effort on checking peoples PMs and sending out e-mails begging for a fucking apology.

5 Likes

I just made a new account specially to buy an SV-1b module. $650!!

I used my regular phone number and address. I wonder if they’ll let the purchase go through or if they’ll cancel it and forfeit the money from the sale.

2 Likes

I kicked myself off of Reverb. They’re horrible. Good day!

:wink:

11 Likes

I mean that’s very much against policy and the messages sent between buyer and seller most certainly aren’t private! I’m sure if you needed help with a problem you’d rely on that fact, they’re not emails :slight_smile:

Sucks obviously and I don’t want to rub salt in the wounds but whether it’s eBay, reverb or even elektronauts (!) You can’t organise the transaction off site.

? Their fees are lower than the competition. I make the most selling on Reverb they’re very fair.

2 Likes

Which reverb allows and accounts for - when you close the listing they ask if you sold the item through the use of their site. Which is fair, they do actively market and host the listing, and even charge a lower fee for not handling the transaction. I will admit you’d have to be quite honest to choose that option :sweat_smile:

I’ve learnt that there’s no way to run a marketplace platform without generating anger. People just want their cake and to eat it too.

4 Likes