Just got kicked off reverb

I don’t disagree with reverb either. It just seems like the amount of times that’s happened in my case, vs how many legit sales/purchases-

It’s like 100 to 1. I wonder what happened now that they sent me this ban…I haven’t done anything off reverb recently.

This sounds like sour grapes, but their loss! They’ve made lots of money from my sales! (Again I do understand why I’ve been banned).

They said don’t bother making another account cause they’ll ban it.

1 Like

No salary listed. But a million responsibilities and qualifications listed. Some employers are getting it nowadays and listing salaries. Others don’t and complain “no one wants to work anymore.” Salary is the #1 reason why people go to work. I don’t even bother with listings anymore that don’t state the salary.

8 Likes

So a conclusion: moderators have the possibility to check the private messages and they have an automatic sort of account flagging and detection for off-site selling.

I try to stick with Craigslist as much as possible when buying or selling. No taxes, no fees, no shipping and best of all no corporate. You also don’t have to worry about shipping scams and the cost is lower (IE what used gear prices used to be, not 10% off retail for a synth some dude has been taking bong rips next to for six months). I guess you have to worry about getting robbed or stabbed but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

6 Likes

This is the distinction tho. You can sell things via other means even if they’re listed on Reverb. But you can’t use Reverb to drum up the interest in the first place, then try to do a deal with the very same people who stated their interest via Reverb. It’s easy to understand from my perspective.

9 Likes

I had my account deleted too. Reverb is wack as fuck. I also had several hundreds of sales and purchases on there as a Preferred Seller. I made reverb a lot of money, more than they would care to admit. They also sent me one of those stupid apologize now emails, but instead I cussed them out and told them what I thought of them, and they deleted me account shortly after though lol. I don’t really miss it though, I get enough sales through Craigslist and MW and I’m glad I don’t have to worry about the seller’s fees

4 Likes

Spouse is in a late round of interviews for an online market and it’ll be a similar anti-fraud role (if not nearly as director-level), will be interesting to see things from the corporate level and how the cheap and gearflippers get delineated from malactors at a policy and automated level.

2 Likes

@ddiamond84, that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear it. Was the offending message/transaction recent or from a long time ago?

I’ve had a few people message me in a way that might look bad — like when they offer their email address and ask to take the conversation off reverb. I haven’t ever done transactions outside, but I’m wondering if all they need is the suspicion that you’re doing that to kick you off.

This is just some greedy corporate bullshit. It’s also pretty stupid on their part. Instead of making money off of you from your future transactions, they are just closing the door on you. It’s just bad business. I have been seeing more music gear back on eBay in the past year or two. Maybe it is people sick of Reverb? Eventually Reverb’s loss will be another platforms gain.

I still sell on Reverb, but, the fee’s have gotten so high that I have also been listing on Craigslist again for the past couple of years. It’s great. I get to meet cool people in person. I can also sell it for a little less, and they get deal, because we circumvent all the fee’s.

4 Likes

How would they be tracking this? Are you messaging through Reverb to the buyers to make these offers? I don’t really use reverb so I’m curious.

They read his messages

1 Like

Well said. I may use that one. I actually like malls. Especially the ones that are obviously done, or abandoned.

Absolutely no sarcasm intended. I always see things in a positive sense and think your banning is a blessing for you. I know you use them a lot and i have too. But things happen for reasons and this could be positive for you if you think about it.

2 Likes

Sounds rough. Thanks for posting. In a similar and related vein, of late I’ve been noticing increasing levels of ‘friction’ from the tech giants / anyone who controls a channel that users are using - speak out of line or do something (anything) that a moderator (some of these moderators are just regular guys working for free in the hope of getting a few free baubles) deems ‘out of line’ and they threaten to close you down. It’s a growing problem with real consequences for some. I’ve no idea how we counter this trend as increasingly I see most of the private corporations going this way. :frowning:

1 Like

I hear you and I appreciate that, tone sincere. I think so too!

1 Like

No, it’s not. Well, maybe kinda. Mostly, it’s just stupid business decisions. They surely want that extra part that never belonged to them and never will. It’s clear that it is doing a disservice to themselves as they actually encourage the user to abandon their platform completely by trying to control the uncontrollable. Even Booking.com know they fail at this. It’s just stupid, in my opinion.

Yeah they must have read some of the messages. But again, it’s not even close, how much money they’ve made from me vs the probably less than a couple hundred tops that I’ve done outside of them. Doesn’t seem like a great strategy.

2 Likes

Ive done a bit of trust and safety, often its automated and then goes to like an offshore processing centre for human verification, albeit by low paid/low skilled workers.

You could mail them with your long history and promise not to do it again and see if they will give you your account bank.

I live in Oregon so I don’t pay sales tax on Reverb purchases or earnings. So i’m curious what you’re talking about with regard to those charges on Reverb. Is it extra somehow? Wouldn’t you be paying sales tax anyway if you live in a state that requires that? How is it worse on Reverb? I guess it would be more advantageous to sell via Craigslist and avoid the taxes that way, but then you gotta deal with Craigslist (plus CL doesn’t have the reach that Reverb does to the music community).

I’ve always been curious about this. Do those companies pay the same seller’s fees that we common folk do? If so, it seems crazy for them to sell off Reverb.

1 Like