Just got an Octatrack

Got my new (used) OT on Monday. Loving it. Even being super familiar with the MnM and MD, I’m still hellaconfused and overwhelmed!

Anyways, one thing that’s bugging me is the MIDI note setup. I love the MnM and how it shows the keyboard notes that you’re playing on a little piano keyboard. I feel like in Chromatic mode, the keyboard at the bottom of the display is a huge waste of space. Am I missing a setting that lets me change the view?

2 Likes

No.

1 Like

Bummer. Oh well. Still loving the hell out of this machine.

Also, I can’t seem to figure this out. When I hit the track trigs, it plays both the sample and the MIDI note sent to my synth. Is there a way to make it only play the audio track and not the MIDI track?

Trigging an audio track will (usually) send out a MIDI Note message unless you set PROJECT > MIDI > CONTROL > Audio Note Out to “INT” (page 42 of the manual).

That whole part confused me. If I set Audio Note Out to INT, will I still be able to play my MIDI instruments with the trigs live while in MIDI mode? No joke, I’ve read the manual like 5 times (complete with annotations, highlighting, and post-it notes), and watched a million videos. Still working to understand it (though it’s only been 3 days).

Yes.

Edit: sorry for terseness- writing on phone syndrome.

1 Like

“INT will make [TRIG] key presses affect only internal machines or tracks. [TRIG] keys will not send out any MIDI notes, unless pressed when being on a MIDI track.”

Makes more sense now that I read it again and you explained. It’s all good! I tend to ask lots of stupid questions and you’re crazy patient with me. Haha.

2 Likes

Another odd question. I loaded up a bunch of samples from a sample library I have. All the samples work fine in my DAW. However, some of them aren’t loading in the OT. I get a sample read error from samples that are part of sample banks where other samples do work. Is there a way to see why there is a read error?

Could be a sample/bit rate issue. I convert all samples to 16-bit/44.1khz before importing to Octatrack which solves this issue for me

Ok. I’ll check that out and see if it’s an issue.