Just finished my portable studio case

Yes I’m considering that, but I like the fact that I can currently just remove the lid and use it to add angle to the main case or put it away to save space.

Very cool!

1 Like

Very nice work !
Could you show a bit more of the bottom layer ? I wonder what kind of power socket you chose ?
thanks !

Impressive case, well done! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great work! Been thinking of trying to do something very similar.

Damn that’s so sick. Reminds me of @TRAINTRACS setup.

1 Like

I’ll upload more photos tomorrow.
Everything but the bluebox is powered by an Aukey 6 ports USB power supply, and the bluebox has its own small USB supply to avoid ground loops. Then I used a Y 2 poles cable extension to power both USB power supplies from a single plug.

1 Like

What about switching to a Retrokits RK-006 + USB hub combo for all MIDI/clock duties?

Regarding the Aukey 6 port USB power supply, do you not experience ground noise or interference when powering multiple devices? I ask because the last time i powered my DN, OT, MC combo from one power bank using either ripcord or birdcord I got quite a lot.

Also do you have a link to the specific Aukey product by any chance?

1 Like

thanks for asking, i’ve got the same question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I discovered the RK-006 after finishing my Raspberry Pi setup, and I had the 2 midisport interfaces lying in a closet, so I went with it.

I find I could gain some room in the bottom layer with a RK-006, but the Pi also has Bluetooth which allows me to take out the nanokey outside the case while still having it working, and replace it with an extra synth :grin:

1 Like

Yes, it was the hell of ground loops issues at the beginning and took long time to solve, but now it’s perfect.

The model is this one: AUKEY | 6-Port USB Charging Station with Quick Charge 3.0 | PA-T11
I bought it off Amazon before the ban, so no link now :worried:
I tried a similar one with Anker brand but it couldn’t power the DT+DN, the 2 3A ports here help greatly.

I also have a separate 1A small charger that I got back from a sony camera I think, powering the Bluebox separately otherwise it would ground loop with everything else.

The remaining problematic synths were the Typhon, OPZ, MicroMonsta 2 and NTS1. Initially I fixed the ground loops by inserting cheap audio isolators at the audio outputs of every of these synths, but after some deeper testing I discovered that it hurts the audio quality (heavy distorsion in the very low end, phasing issues, lower levels). I removed the audio isolators and tried different USB isolator instead, before finally settling on the Hifime model (https://hifimediy.com/product/usb-isolator-high-current/). I bought 3 of these, the 4th synth being alone it doesn’t need to be isolated.

Edit: I currently use 5 ports out of 6 on the charger, the 6th one being connected to the extension box. I discovered that the 6th one have a hard time delivering even 500mA, as its voltage drop to ~3V if I connect a 12V or 9V ripcord on it, but can power a TR6S with ~250mA with a slight drop to 4.77V.
Not sure if it’s defective or not, the other 3 ports power the Rpi 3, the Typhon and USB hub with everything else without issues.
Having a charger that properly deliver its max amps on every port is very hard to find despite every brand claiming that, but it works well enough for my needs.

1 Like

More photos I took yesterday, you can see some of the custom 3d printed stands here:

A close-up of the OPZ custom stand:

And a different angle to better enjoy the lightshow:

6 Likes

Thanks for the detailed insight. Really loving this case. I will be looking into these solutions for sure.

Epic… I second that idea on maybe speakers in the lid… this inspired me to make something… needed a winter project…

1 Like

Looks amazing!

I’m currently trying to fit a similar bunch of synths (dt, dn, typhon, bluebox, ju-06) into a magma road case, with great difficulty.

Got some great ideas from this so thanks!

Nice! It’s like a modular synth only a 1/3 of the price.

Can you say more about using a Pi as a MIDI hub?

I have fairly deep Linux experience, but am having trouble finding a good footing in Linux audio & MIDI.

Looks awesome! I love the idea of a compact yet powerful portable hardware studio. Would be excellent to transition from writing at home to playing live too. Excellent idea and great execution

I just finished something similar but ditched the foam (frustrating to cut…) and went with an aluminium profile instead. Not sure about the total weight, but will use a trolly for it. Really pleased with it so far :sunglasses:

10 Likes